Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dyno'd and tracked 1st time this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:24 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

That should be a low 12 sec car....will anyone let you borrow slicks?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I saw his AF was 12.7 in another thread. He needs to be tuned. Generally canned tunes from Brenspeed are pretty good, not the most powerful, but safe. I wouldn't consider it either.

I would like to know what PSI the OP is at.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I saw his AF was 12.7 in another thread. He needs to be tuned. Generally canned tunes from Brenspeed are pretty good, not the most powerful, but safe. I wouldn't consider it either.

I would like to know what PSI the OP is at.

I'm running a 105mm(4.1") pulley which is around 5-6psi. I spoke with JDM about the AFR, mine was measured at the tailpipe so it reads at least a 1/2 point lean. They also said power numbers are right where they should be for my setup. Once I get my gauges installed I'll be able to get a more accurate AF reading. Once I upgrade to a 3.47" pulley I should be well north of 450.

You wouldn't consider either what?...................Its nice when you have a tuner who can actually tune these cars close by. Unfortunately those are few and far between and in a lot of cases you end up with a better tune from the reputable tuners online than you would a dyno shop who thinks they know how to tune a mustang. I'll stick with JDM or VMP they are the best with the Roush blowers.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
I'm running a 105mm(4.1") pulley which is around 5-6psi. I spoke with JDM about the AFR, mine was measured at the tailpipe so it reads at least a 1/2 point lean. They also said power numbers are right where they should be for my setup. Once I get my gauges installed I'll be able to get a more accurate AF reading. Once I upgrade to a 3.47" pulley I should be well north of 450.

You wouldn't consider either what?...................Its nice when you have a tuner who can actually tune these cars close by. Unfortunately those are few and far between and in a lot of cases you end up with a better tune from the reputable tuners online than you would a dyno shop who thinks they know how to tune a mustang. I'll stick with JDM or VMP they are the best with the Roush blowers.
ASk the shop what their sniffer translates to on the street. You are right that most tail pipe sniffers show leaner than what they are, but not all are like that. I have been on several dynos and they all read slightly different in regards to the wideband. Ask the shop, they will be the best people to ask.

I wouldn't consider the tune safe or powerful. @6 psi I think you should be way up on torque. Ofcourse Brenspeed will tell you they're tune rocks. They made it. They know as well as anyone that they cannot get it right on without strapping the car down and seeing what it does.

Your HP number seems pretty appropriate, which baffles me with the low torque number. I am very used to seeing twin screw/roots blowers make equal amounts of HP and TQ, or close to it.

Do you have an intercooler?

As far as tuning goes, when you decide to swap pullies and make some more power, find someone that can show you they know what they are doing, not someone who says they know what they are doing. If you can't, look me up and I will set you up with a tuner that can remotely tune you if you have a dyno available. I have seen so many guys show up to dyno days with awesome cars and crappy tunes. Three pulls later and the car make way more power and drives like it's new. That's the benefit of custom tuning.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Not planning on running a Brenspeed tune at this point. I think the lower torque has to do with my auto trans. The dyno was an awd dyno and the shop specializes in mistubishi's. I'll check it on the dyno again probably at All Ford. I have been told I need to get a tc lockup tune for the dyno.

Edit: Also have my new wideband to install and I can see the AF before the cats, should be more accurate that way.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
Not planning on running a Brenspeed tune at this point. I think the lower torque has to do with my auto trans. The dyno was an awd dyno and the shop specializes in mistubishi's. I'll check it on the dyno again probably at All Ford. I have been told I need to get a tc lockup tune for the dyno.

Edit: Also have my new wideband to install and I can see the AF before the cats, should be more accurate that way.
Very good point. The auto trans on the dyno doesn't always tell the whole story.

Who are you going to use for the tuning?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Right now I have JDM's tune, I think I'm going to try Justin with VMP. He also has a pulley set that can bring me to 8psi on the stock fuel pump I believe so I'll shoot for a package deal if I go that route. Most of the tuners out here do imports, not really anyone who specializes in mustangs. I don't even think All Ford has a whole lot of experience with the S197, friend of mine at work said they wanted to bump his AF up above 13. I have recently located a couple of clubs that are more performance related so I may try to get in touch with them see if they know someone. Otherwise its email and remote tuning, I have an xcal2 and am setting up an old laptop with livelink for data logging.