Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual or Automatic GT or BOSS? Can't decide

Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

Default Manual or Automatic GT or BOSS? Can't decide

I've long been thinking of getting the GT Premium with Automatic, mainly because I do a lot of city driving and I tend to multitask while I drive (even though I shouldn't). So I was gonna get an automatic. Also heard the tunes can optimize shift points and get best 1/4 mile times.

But, I can also afford a Boss mustang...but it only comes in Manual. I have only test drove the autos here and can't find anyone with a boss in my area to testdrive (and even then, I"m not sure they would let me!).

How cumbersome is shifting...last manual I drove was a 1981 Rabbit. Do you have to push the clutch pedal down really far, does it go down easy or hard, etc. I'd love to hear from those who have the manual if they regret it and would have rather had an auto. Also, what is different about Boss engine...is it much faster...what about gas mileage. Is there a good link comparing the two? Money is not much of an issue...so which one would you get?

Last edited by Corepuncher; 06-02-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:15 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

I had a 2006 Mustang GT manual for a little while so I'll try to comment. The clutch is ok, not too hard or soft. The engagement point seems really tiny. I found keeping my heel on the floor and not using my whole leg worked better for smoother shifts, especially out of first. The gas pedal was what I wasn't use to. In my BMW the accelerator has a very stiff spring so you can feel the pedal better and push it in just a tiny bit.

With the Mustang it felt like it wasn't there at all, and for whatever reason it felt like if you push the pedal in 10% it felt like 90% throttle. I don't know if someone did some prior mods or tuning, but taking off in first was tricky to say the least.

If I had to do it over again I think I'd go auto, as long as I could put in some 3.73's and a nice transmission tune that would still rip the tires shifting WOT into 2nd gear (loved scaring the hell out of my wife). You could probably go with the Mustang GT auto, throw on some mods (CAI, engine + trans tune, gears) and be similar to a Boss power wise. Corners would be a different story however, but unless you track it heavily I wouldn't be too concerned about it. It is ultimately up to you of course.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:24 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

FYI finding a Boss may not be easy. I'll have to go out of state, as every Boss here is either spoken for, or the dealers are asking a 5-10k markup on the price. There ARE dealers who will sell for MSRP if they know you're serious, but finding one can be difficult.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^agreed...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

I think I'd go for the premium...easier to find, cheaper to buy, and probably cheaper to insure. Also, unless you plan on tracking in on a regular basis, the premium is better bang for the buck. You could get one and put a modest amount of money into it and get very good performance.

But...the Boss IS a Boss...very nice automobile that will definitely get attention and awsome performance. If you can afford it, can find one, and truley want one...go for it!

As for the transmission, I think performance-wise, you'd be happy with the auto especially if you spring for a good tune. I chose the manual just because I love shiftin'.

Good luck...and let us know what you choose!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

The clutch action on the 2011+ Mustangs is very light and engages pretty much where you would expect it to, about in the middle of the stroke. Of the manuals I've driven (Fox bodies, SN95's, 2005 S197), this is by far the most refined and easiest to drive. So if your fear of a difficult clutch/transmission is holding you back, don't let it. If you deem an auto fits your needs better, by all means go with that. You'll give nothing up in performance.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

the clutch is very light on the boss and on the 10-11 cars for that matter. you would be surprised at how many of the boss cars with 5-10k markups would go for sticker if you pressed them.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If you can afford it, and still have good knees, get the Boss!!

This car has enough torque to go from 1st, to 3rd, to 5th...which can make city driving really stress free.

I drive 20 miles to work in traffic and have had no problems at all with a 6-speed. Just don't tailgate and you will be fine.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

As much as I love my auto in m 08/GT/SC.. with something like the Boss, I'd have to opt for a manual trans. I am assuming it will not be a daily driver, so when you do take it out it'll always be a treat
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
the clutch is very light on the boss and on the 10-11 cars for that matter. you would be surprised at how many of the boss cars with 5-10k markups would go for sticker if you pressed them.
Agreed. One I spoke to admit the markup was to deter tire kickers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic GT or BOSS? Can't decide