Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PLEASE READ Rough idle and dealership screwing me over.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM
ncreptile

Default PLEASE READ Rough idle and dealership screwing me over.

I have a 05 gt. All stock but a k&n cai.
Engine light came on and code was for "low idle"
2 weeks later it starts to choke out and shake when idling and going below 15mph. It would also act like it wasnt getting enough gas when accelerating from being stopped through about 15mph.

The car has cut off in idle twice now in bumper to bumper traffic. It acts and behaves normal usually for 30 minutes after being parked and off all night. Then it does it at random. For about 4 days the check engine light went off and problem stopped. Now its back on and problem is happening more frequently at random.

Took it to a ford dealer(only place that would take it in today since everywhere else is full) and after 4 hours they call me saying it needs a new syncranizer timer or a new engine. They werent really sure.
I think they are full of it and just wanted the $100 for the diagnostics.

I am a broke college kid, i dont have 3k to dump on fixing this thing(my credit card has 350 left and thats it)

What do you think it sounds like? Someone else on another forum had same issue and a new throttle position sensor fixed it. Someone else said clean the maf sensor?
Are these cheap and easy to replace? I would much rather spend a couple hours tonight and $50 than $3000 i have no way of getting without robbing a bank.

Helpppppp please I need to fix this tonight!!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ncreptile
I have a 05 gt. All stock but a k&n cai.
Engine light came on and code was for "low idle"
2 weeks later it starts to choke out and shake when idling and going below 15mph. It would also act like it wasnt getting enough gas when accelerating from being stopped through about 15mph.

The car has cut off in idle twice now in bumper to bumper traffic. It acts and behaves normal usually for 30 minutes after being parked and off all night. Then it does it at random. For about 4 days the check engine light went off and problem stopped. Now its back on and problem is happening more frequently at random.

Took it to a ford dealer(only place that would take it in today since everywhere else is full) and after 4 hours they call me saying it needs a new syncranizer timer or a new engine. They werent really sure.
I think they are full of it and just wanted the $100 for the diagnostics.

I am a broke college kid, i dont have 3k to dump on fixing this thing(my credit card has 350 left and thats it)

What do you think it sounds like? Someone else on another forum had same issue and a new throttle position sensor fixed it. Someone else said clean the maf sensor?
Are these cheap and easy to replace? I would much rather spend a couple hours tonight and $50 than $3000 i have no way of getting without robbing a bank.

Helpppppp please I need to fix this tonight!!
My 05 GT had a rough idle a few years back. I took apart the air intake and cleaned it as well as the MAF and as much of the TB as possible without taking it off. This fixed my issue. I'd spend $10 on the cleaning supplies and try cleaning the connections, MAF, TB, etc and see if that helps.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

They "weren't sure" eh?

I believe I'd take it somewhere else and get a second diagnosis.
You could have a problem MUCH easier fixed and fixed MUCH cheaper.
Dirty intake, really bad fuel delivery problem. A combination of a dirty intake and fuel delivery problem, TPS... etc etc.

You need to be patient. A fix tonight probably is not in the cards.
You need to find a REPUTABLE place to take it to.

Don't just want to find out NOW and it end up not being the problem in reality and you spending much more than you need to.
That being said... you could also have a serious problem on your hands.
It just depends.

Like I said before BE PATIENT and find a REPUTABLE place.
I'd ask some friends if they knew anyone that worked at a good place, as well as asking relatives. Don't go for the quick fix. That is a MAJOR mistake.
Find out the RIGHT FIX, and the RIGHT PRICE.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 PM
balls8302
1st Gear Member

for about ten bucks and an hour of your time, i think it would be worth trying to clean both the throttle body and maf sensor. go to a store like pep boys or advanced auto and pick up some CRC throttle body cleaner and CRC maf sensor cleaner. take the maf out, give it 10-12 sprays, let it dry, put back in. take tb off of car, have some rags with you, spray the dirty areas and wipe off with the gunk with the rags, repeat until the tb is clean and reinstall. i was experiencing some idle/rpm issues this past weekend, and like you my car died on me twice. cleaning the maf and tb has seemed to do trick, so far so good. car feels better and idles perfectly....

worth a shot i'd say
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by balls8302
for about ten bucks and an hour of your time, i think it would be worth trying to clean both the throttle body and maf sensor. go to a store like pep boys or advanced auto and pick up some CRC throttle body cleaner and CRC maf sensor cleaner. take the maf out, give it 10-12 sprays, let it dry, put back in. take tb off of car, have some rags with you, spray the dirty areas and wipe off with the gunk with the rags, repeat until the tb is clean and reinstall. i was experiencing some idle/rpm issues this past weekend, and like you my car died on me twice. cleaning the maf and tb has seemed to do trick, so far so good. car feels better and idles perfectly....

worth a shot i'd say
Good advice. Only other thing I'd do is change your fuel filter.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on all the recommendations above:
  1. clean the TB
  2. clean the MAF sensor
  3. replace the fuel filter https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...with-pics.html (except you don't need to pull the fuse)
  4. run 1-2 tanks of SeaFoam
  5. double check all of the hose clamps from the CAI to the TB. Don't overtighten but be sure you have no in-leakage
  6. disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or more
  7. If you can't afford a custom tune for that CAI, then I suggest you reinstall the stock airbox. A no-tune required CAI gains you little in power and the engine will run on the ragged edge of running lean, often enough to throw a code.