Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP cams with e-force?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
@Timmbo - There another thread going that says that many have had "Hunting" problems at idle with the Hot Rods. Have you experienced this with yours?
Not for me. Most times the cause is a dirty throttle body. Even very light carbon build up it can cause this issue. The only other culprit is in the tune where the idle air is not set correctly by the tuner. I run a tune from Blow By Racing and couldn't be happier. Chris Jones at BBR knows these cams and Roushcharger combos inside and out. Very happy.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
For the OP's benefit, more aggressive cam specs don't necessarily mean better for FI. More duration and lift will allow more intake charge into the cylinder, and I'm not sure how the LSA compares to stock, but more duration and lift will also create more overlap and less efficient use of boost.

Like I said before, they will work, but they're not ideal. Best bet is to get a set of dedicated blower cams to get the most out of your supercharger. I don't know for certain, though, if the Hot Rod cams will net you more or less than a stock cam would with a blower.
What you are saying is right. You can tune to compensate for a naturally aspirated cam profile to be used with forced induction. But there are drawbacks. You do waste fuel from overscavenging, well the boost pressure really pushing unburnt fuel out the exhaust. This is something to consider if your car is meant to alsobe driven on the street and you must pass emissions. But if you do not have emissions concern in your area or your car is strictly meant for the track and trailered there, this is all moot.

FI cam profiles are designed to mitigate waste of fuel and to also keep more boost in the cylinder instead of wasting it out the still open exhaust valves. Just like parchisi said, LSA is reduced. But also the opening and closing rates of our poppet valves are significantly faster. Sure a FI cam might have the same durations but the opening and closing rates are much faster due to the shape of the lobes. I remember in pushrod cars with FI cams almost always were roller everthing.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The hunting idle problem is a tune problem not a Hot Rod Cam problem.
I had the same problem with our 06GT. Tune fixed it.
I had a friend with the Detroit Rockers and a friend with some Comp Cams that had the same problem. Tune adjustment fixed it.

I just had to find a good tuner around here.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Knechtion
1st Gear Member

oh man i didnt know this would turn into a semi arguement, anyway im still deciding but i did look at the link you gave m,e and for only i believe 100$ more i think they would be worth it especially if they are designed for a SC car, although i would like the sound of the hot rod cams, so im not sure atm. But thanks guys for the info i learned something
Old 07-23-2011, 07:10 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

That definitely is a wise choice. Going with the supercharger grind will ensure you to get a cam profile that minimizes unburnt fuel, and more importantly, precious boost pressure out the still open exhaust valves. And thus you will not have to band-aid tune to try to correct this. Your tuner can thus focus writing the tune to use that captured and kept boost pressure.

I am not sure this has any bearing, but given the moving mass of air in relation to the boost pressure pushing it, it might be best to let the cam cutter know what supercharger you are using and also what boost pressures you will be operating at.