Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

It finally happened...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

I was bumped from behind a few weeks ago and it only did two tiny dings that were invisible from 10 feet. That required remove, repair, paint and blend color, clear the whole bumper, reinstall. It was right at $800. Should be about 3 days in the shop.

Because yours is at the end of the bumper, it may require color blending and clear on the quarter panel, too. Add another $500. That requires removal of the quarter glass and trim over the door glass to do it right.

Last edited by scottybaccus; 07-26-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
I was bumped from behind a few weeks ago and it only did two tiny dings that were invisible from 10 feet. That required remove, repair, paint and blend color, clear the whole bumper, reinstall. It was right at $800. Should be about 3 days in the shop.

Because yours is at the end of the bumper, it may require color blending and clear on the quarter panel, too. Add another $500. That requires removal of the quarter glass and trim over the door glass to do it right.
Wow.... that is a lot more than I was expecting... maybe I should call my insurance company. I was thinking it would be in the $450 - $550 range. I'll take it in tomorrow for a quote. Who did you use? Ford?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0Racer
What is that going to do...the cop is going to tell him to call his insurance company. Theres no injuries and no witnesses to anything.
a: You dont need any witnesses to file a fail to remain

b: All youre looking for is an incident number to pass on to your insurance company to make you not responsible

c: You dont have to actually have to have the culprit to file it

d: Injuries is not applicable since its a "fail to remain". Hence , no one was in the car at the time of the accident

As long as you have full coverage on your vehicle, which i assume you do since your car is nice, then you should be fine.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

Ya, I have full coverage. So it should cover anything from someone hitting me to non-collision damage. $500 deductible for both types.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Deductibles suck *****. And in this case it does indeed look like a job that is less than $500 to fix. I say go ahead and just pay the repairs out of pocket. It is not worth an insurance claim even if the job costs only $501. Your premiums will go up just because of a single low cost claim.

Now I admit that I cannot see the damage in it's full detail. I am reading this on a phone so I cannot tell if the quarterpanel might have a surface scrape too.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

My Ford dealer farms bodywork out to a local shop. I actually knew a better shop and was getting the claim handled there, but we also redid the whole driver's side of the car under warranty from Ford due to some trash in the clear coat. It's amazing what you find when you look closely. Now my paint is just about show car perfect. (I hope that doesn't tempt fate...)
Old 07-30-2011, 08:32 AM