Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shafted via driveshaft....Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Shafted via driveshaft....Update

Posted a thread last week about installing my Shaftmasters DS and Loop. I thought all was great. This weekend I was able to get it up to 70 mph and then it hits, big time vibration. I repeated it several times and every time once you hit 70 ish and let off the gas it vibrates. Feels like its right under my seat. So I called my pro mechanic friend and we spent all day Sunday going over last weeks work. It looked to be installed perfectly. So we took it out and flipped it 180 degrees, cleaned all the surfaces again, wired wheeled the bolts, got it back in and went for a test drive. Hit 70 let off gas and whatta ya know......f***** vibration just like before. Now we are very disapointed. This is a wonderful piece yet it aint working at all. My car is not lowered, this should bolt on and your good but its not. So now we get her back up on jackstands and take the damn thing out. Clean the surfaces again, wire wheel the bolts again.....WTF this sucks.....and finally get the stocker back in.

I hope David at Shaftmasters takes it back. Something is wrong, it should work but does not. There has been a lot of debate about this mod. One thing that keeps coming up is guys with 4.10s and a 1 piece DS tend to have vibration issues more than others.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Even though you're not lowered, check the pinion angle anyway. I noticed you have aftermarket LCA's. Those can sometime shift the pivot point.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

I agree.....I would definately check your pinion angle now before giving up so quickly.
Some of us have been through this and it's well worth having a little patience.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:18 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Actually I spoke to David at shaftmasters and he assured me I didnt have to worry about the pinion angle. Of course I didnt have the J&M LCA's at the time and never imagined they would effect the angle. I did go to 3 stores to buy the angle measurement tool and nobody carried it so I said to myself I dont need it, David said so. Of course after watching the video of how easy it is to check I wished I would have ordered one via amazon.com. Too late now, I boxed it up and am sending it back to Shaftmasters. Stock out, new in, new out, new in, new out, stock back in and I'm over the driveshaft mod. That 11 second time slip will have to wait now.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

well 808, sorry aboot the tough situation, but thanks for the write-up...I was thinking aboot this mod, but will wait on it...gl
Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Checking the pinion angle is easier with the stock driveshaft than it is with a one piece. From what I have read you need to disconnect the driveshaft in order to check the angle if you are running a one piece.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Well that blows. I've had zero problems with my Shaftmasters shaft and I got the 1" drop Roush rear springs too.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Yeah thats too bad. What is awesome is how shaftmasters takes care of these issues for us though. I'm glad I had a shaftmasters on my '07. I had a bit of vibration at 100 but it wasn't bad so I never did anything about it.

Sorry about the bad luck. Hopefully they get it tested and sent back to you working this time.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
Well that blows. I've had zero problems with my Shaftmasters shaft and I got the 1" drop Roush rear springs too.
That is the weird thing about the DS mod. Sometimes there are no issues at all and others are just fubar.
I really would like to know why it wouldnt work. I asked David to let me know if it was out of balance or damaged. I may order the tool from amazon.com just to check my stock angle but then again I have a stock uca so I couldn't adjust it even if it was off.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:13 PM
shelbygirl11

I'm thinking about doing the same mod. I've researched it a bit. I've been hearing that different manufacturers shafts are better than others. Is this true? If so whos tried what? what do you guys recommend? TIA for all the help.

Quick Reply: Shafted via driveshaft....Update