Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5 day impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Tampa5.0

Default 5 day impressions

Just a few things I've noticed after 5 days and a few hundred miles in my new Mustang.

- First and foremost, this engine is fantastic. The new 5.0L lives up to all the hype, easily! Torque everywhere, revs in a hurry, and sounds great. Can't wait to put a Borla ATAK behind this thing.
- The tranny is surprisingly awesome. Assuming it holds together and I do not start to experience the various issues people have reported on the forums, I think I'm going to have a happy relationship with the MT-82. I'm cautiously optimistic, but crossing my fingers and toes.
- Ford erred on the wrong wide of comfortable with the suspension. Too soft, too vague, too unresponsive. Definitely the first thing I plan to address.
- Sync is a giant, steaming, bacteria-laden turd. I use an iPod classic 160GB to haul around 80 gigs of music and Sync randomly loses connection, loses track of where it is in playback, and has so far locked up twice. Cant wait to replace it with a Kenwood or Pioneer all-in-one unit with navigation.

All told, I'm very happy. All of the car's faults are addressed with time and a little money, and its strengths are where it counts, under the hood, and that particular pill far outweighs the weaknesses.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the new Five-oh!
Sounds like it's being good to you. Sucks about the Sync. I'm a firm believer that you can get far better sound alot cheaper through aftermarket stereos anyways.
Get some Koni/Steeda springs on that beast!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

congrats on the new Coyote
now let the modding begin!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Lower the car a bit with decent springs and put a set of Konis and you will improve handling in a big way.
Congrats and have fun.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

That sucks with the sync because I've had it where I can get in and it simply wont work on the aux usb either with a usb stick or either of my zune's. It's like the aux isnt even installed. I've tried everything short of pulling the battery. And sometimes I'll drive for an hour and it still wont work...Then sometimes key on key off gets it going. It's kind of a pisser. About the only thing I've found that seems to work reliably is a usb stick that I leave in there all the time.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:24 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Got to love the new 5.0L Mustangs. Congrats and good to see you are enjoying the car.

We can address your suspension quirks when you are ready
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Tampa5.0

I'm definitely going with a suspension upgrade first and foremost. Once I get past the holidays, will be looking for some Steeda Ultralites and Koni Yellows. Will have to be in touch Gus, looks like there is a lot of hardware under the car that I would like to replace with parts from the Steeda lineup.

Sync did the lost and found thing again with my iPod on the way home tonight. Started the car, it was nowhere to be found. Drove down the road for 15 minutes and magically, there it was. Thank goodness for that engine note!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 AM
GhastlyTT

I have the same issue with SYNC dropping my iphone if I leave it connected via USB as I start the car. (Shows as playing but no sound)

The only solution i've found to work is to unplug the USB cord as I start the car then plug it back in once SYNC initializes.

Maybe a short term band aid for you too until you install the aftermarket head unit.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:20 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

anyone else had issues with the bluetooth connecting to your phone? sometimes in connects right away and will show the icon on the nav screen, other times music on my phone will play thru the head unit but i still cant call anyone using the screen.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Tampa5.0

@GhastlyTT I've been disconnecting every time I exit the car to head into the office and waiting for Sync to fully initialize before reconnecting on the way home. So far it seems to be helping. @grnbayfan I rarely use my phone for anything while in the car, so I haven't had much of an opportunity to notice Bluetooth problems.