Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Pick your poison
Automatic 5 speed
24.31%
manual 5 speed
75.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic vs. manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
Manual all the way. I didn't even consider an auto when I purchased my car. I know autos are faster at the strip, but I prefer holding a gear through turns and having more control of what gear I will be in and when.
Oh yeah. Manuals allow the ability too skip a gear, down shifting from 5th too 3rd, under heavy breaking to do a corner at 60. And (conversely) To just use 1st 3rd and 5th when just cruising. I know the challengers actually force the issue with there shifting on their 6 speeds. It wont allow you too ''chirp second'' at high r's. instead it puts you into 3rd. ''fuel economy'' There is an adaptor kit for it thou. Cuz alot of owners do not appreciate the auto makers gesture.
I'm happy with my ford auto. I'll be looking into a b&m shifter soon........oh yeah.......
Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Manuals are more 'fun' when you want to have fun. At the Dragstrip though, competing in bracket racing, it's an auto, hands down.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:51 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Kinda wierd, the ''live'' axle on most of these ponies, are more suited for the straight an narrow. A couple twisties aside, You would think the auto would at least share the popularity. in that regard, but manuals are ''fun'', no question.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
MustangSD
1st Gear Member

Definately like the feel of a manual thru the hills....drop a gear, nail the gas, and hug the curves. But for daily driving my vote is for the auto. (Its hard enough texting and driving without having to worry about changing gears - just kidding)
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Muney2bMade

considering i just beat a 2011 mustang with an 04 durango hemi, auto.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocket237
the selling point above all ,for me, was the ability too line lock the car at staging. Try doing that with a standard.
I line lock my standard every time I go to the track. As for the poll, I voted manual because I love rowing the gears at the drag strip, but when my transmission goes (and it will eventually), I'll be replacing it with a built 4r70w. You really can't beat an auto for longevity and consistency at the track.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

I saw a sign at the auto body shop today....support the strip not the street! It was a high school lesson learned sorta thing. funny (sad) thing is this state hasn't had a drag strip in 3 decdaes..........support an idea that doesn't even exist..........This is why kids say we just don't get it....lol.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'm probably one of the kids, but I keep it on the strip. Problem is, the nearest one is 80 miles away. I wish someone would build a decent strip nearby.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I'm probably one of the kids, but I keep it on the strip. Problem is, the nearest one is 80 miles away. I wish someone would build a decent strip nearby.
I would love a strip that close, The nearest ones are Englishtown Nj, or Eppg New Hampshire. I've never been too either, On Saturday will be getting a pretty good reason too finally go!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
I do not intend to be insulting in any way...

I have been driving manual transmissions for over 40 years, the last 23 from Tewksbury to Boston and back (50 miles of Interstate 93 traffic jams). Never once have I regretted having to clutch. When I drive my wife's car, I ALWAYS curse the automatic. I do not understand the fear of driving a manual in traffic.

I know the current trend is for "paddle shifters" (puke in mouth), and the percentage of clutch sales goes down every year, but to paraphrase, "you'll have to pry my clutch off my dead foot before I give it up!"
After driving the manual in DD rush hour traffic, I agree, it is no biggie at all, plus you have direct control of the gears where in an automatic, you are stuck with that gear unless you have one where you can have control of it.

I believe why ppl are so afraid of manuals in DD rush hour traffic is because they are weenies. Well, I mean that in the least offensive way possible, if that is possible.
For you guys with automatics, forgive me for what I am about to say because I am definitely about to put my foot in my mouth.
Ppl fear the stick in DD rush hour because they are weenies in that they do not have leg strength to work the clutch in and out for the multitude of times for the stop-and-go driving.
We Americans are growing soft and lazy, to the point that stepping on a clutch is hard to do.
But to the active person, one who runs, works out, rides a bike, hell just exercises at least twice a week, working the clutch in rush hour DD is no biggie.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. manual