Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Pick your poison
Automatic 5 speed
24.31%
manual 5 speed
75.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic vs. manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:52 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
IIRC, the 2013 has paddle shifters.

but it's not 'like the GTR and most high end sports cars', it is not a double clutch automatic transmission.. it is much slower then that. still, a fun option for auto owners to have a little more control.
I have been shifting mine like a inline manual, just cant slap it. Kinda like nudgeing , 1,2,3, are interchanging. Once you go too drive, ya have too press the thumb button too down shift. In this ''mode' of driving I keep the o/d off.
I gotta tell ya it's an easy chirp in 2nd even with my auto! Too the floor and nudging 3rd and Your way past 80 mph in an 1/8th of a mile. I think I finally have a car that matches my nickname............................:icon_muscleca r:
Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I stated earlier in this thread (Post #34 to be exact) that for drag racing, you can't beat an automatic for consistency.
Word, adding too what you said, (Post #17) "Automatics win races, 6-speeds impress high school kids." lol
Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 AM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

Bought GT with manual tranny and immediately regretted it the next day in 20 minutes of stop and go traffic. Stuck it out for a couple weeks and now I would never go back. Every time I get into an automatic, I freak out a bit, looking for the clutch.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Word, adding too what you said, (Post #17) "Automatics win races, 6-speeds impress high school kids." lol
I am not in high school and I don't go to the drag strip. I only want to have fun while driving my daily driver... and that's why I prefer a manual.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I am not in high school and I don't go to the drag strip. I only want to have fun while driving my daily driver... and that's why I prefer a manual.
I was like you, my next words (while driving) were ,''Yes officer?''.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
IIRC, the 2013 has paddle shifters.

but it's not 'like the GTR and most high end sports cars', it is not a double clutch automatic transmission.. it is much slower then that. still, a fun option for auto owners to have a little more control.
those are manual transmissions, not automatics. They just don't require the driver to shift them.

But they do have clutches, not torque converters.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:46 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
those are manual transmissions, not automatics. They just don't require the driver to shift them.

But they do have clutches, not torque converters.
a hybrid tranmission if you will?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocket237
a hybrid tranmission if you will?
if you want to call it that, it's a bit more accurate.

It used to be a common debate on the BMW forum when the M3 came out with SMGII, whether it's an auto or a manual. But they are manual transmissions with a clutch (or two clutches, depending on design). They just don't require a driver to shift them.

Autos have torque converters.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
if you want to call it that, it's a bit more accurate.

It used to be a common debate on the BMW forum when the M3 came out with SMGII, whether it's an auto or a manual. But they are manual transmissions with a clutch (or two clutches, depending on design). They just don't require a driver to shift them.

Autos have torque converters.
jap bikes have a wet clutch, I never used the clutch, gotta be the same technology I'm thinking.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocket237
jap bikes have a wet clutch, I never used the clutch, gotta be the same technology I'm thinking.
wet clutch being bathed in engine oil?
Not quite the same. It's a standard manual transmission, with dry clutch and everything. The car just comes with an extra system that engages the clutch, shifts the transmission, and disengages the clutch, all without driver input.

Dual clutch transmissions, from what I've read, apparently break the transmission down into two splines: one for odd gears and one for even. So while the car is in an odd gear, the even gear clutch stays engaged and already in the next gear, ready to shift over as soon as needed. There is no disengagement time needed for a single clutch to release, then shift, then re-engage. That's how dual clutch transmissions get shift times down into hundredths of seconds without power loss.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. manual