Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Any thoughts on Hurst Short Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 PM
04AZUREBLUEMACH1
2nd Gear Member

Default 07 Shelby GT

I have the Hurst Short Throw that Shelby put in my 07 Shelby GT and I love it. You still have to muscle it, though. Does anyone know what I could do about that? Not sure if it's the shifter itself or something else.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04AZUREBLUEMACH1
I have the Hurst Short Throw that Shelby put in my 07 Shelby GT and I love it. You still have to muscle it, though. Does anyone know what I could do about that?
Nothing, unless you want to swap it out for another shifter. The Hurst requires some "effort".
Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I have the Hurst Short Throw that Shelby put in my 07 Shelby GT and I love it. You still have to muscle it, though. Does anyone know what I could do about that? Not sure if it's the shifter itself or something else.
MGW my friend.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
SoCalGT08

whats an average cost to have a shifter installed?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
SoCalGT08

Originally Posted by MurrietaStang
I went with a Pro 5.0 and it rattled like crazy. Then switched to the MGW and it was awesome, no rattles, great shifting, adjustable... Get the MGW.

Hey Murrieta Stang.....I have an 08 GT and I'm in Temecula.....looking to get a MGW installed
Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Yup...

A longer handle will solve all your troubles my friend!

Can't remember the exact part number but there was a guy on ebay that had two different handles, both of which will work for us (albeit, the serrations are on the wrong side of the handle- hasn't been a big issue).

I didn't like the feel of the handle that comes with it either. This handle has a better feel and better access- you can actually shift while there are drinks in the cupholder!

BTW, mine rattled a little, some penetrating oil sprayed around the top of the shifter ball has eliminated that problem for months now.

I was attracted to the Hurst for the retro chrome handle and the price. In retrospect, since the Hurst is made in China and I ended up buying another handle anyway, I probably could have just as well gone with another shifter. Ah well.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SoCalGT08
whats an average cost to have a shifter installed?
An honest shop will charge you one hour of labor. The other 99.9% of shops will charge you for at least two. It's a cakewalk install if you have ramps or jackstands and basic hand tools.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 PM
06gtdamon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
An honest shop will charge you one hour of labor. The other 99.9% of shops will charge you for at least two. It's a cakewalk install if you have ramps or jackstands and basic hand tools.
Do you have to jack the car up to change in shifter in s197s? I havent tried mine yet.
took the shifter boot and stuff out of my 03 and changed it in an hour.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Yeah, most of the work is done from underneath the car because we have remote mounted shifters.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I love my hurst, had it for 5 years maybe. MGW is great too no doubt. If you dont mind the notchy feeling then the hurst is great.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on Hurst Short Shifters?