Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Performance question about a programmer

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM
JP's_05_FLA_Roush
1st Gear Member

Default Performance question about a programmer

Whats up guys?! I have been wanting to ask this question for a while now. I will give a little background on the programmer because there is a reason why I'm using it.

Right before I purchased my Roush, I bought a 2007 new body style Sierra. I bought a bully dog triple dog gt tuner for my truck. 3 weeks after I bought the truck the dealer called me and told me that the financing didn't get approved and I had to return the truck. So I took the parts I installed and returned the truck. I was going to sell the bully dog but then I found my stang. I remember reading that the bully dog also worked on 4.6 liter mustang from 05-09 so since I already had it I went ahead and installed it. Plus I made the dealer cut me a check for the parts that I had installed. I only removed the programmer. The other parts I had installed were exhaust, and bed liner and other accessories like that but I told them I left the programmer in the truck so basically I got the bully dog for free.

The reason I have a question about the performance is because my buddy has an 06 GT with K&N cai, short shifter, Roush exhaust, and 4:10 gears. He wanted to run my car. We raced and the first time I beat him by more then a car length. My car is basically stock (performance wise). With those mods he has shouldn't he be able to beat my car. His car is lighter also since mine is a vert, or is it safe to say that the reason he didn't win was because of my programmer? Bully dog claims 25hp on premium gas which is what I put in there.

I also want to know if my car is tuned just like a factory GT. Since it is a stage 2 that means it should run like a stock GT correct? The reason I would like to know is because if it is tuned differently then maybe the tuner won't help my car since bully dog says it will work with a stock GT.

Sorry it was so long but I just don't have any real knowledge about this type of thing. Would you guys also recommend selling the bully dog and getting another type of tuner or do you think the bully dog is doing an alright job. Thanks in advance. All or any input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JP's_05_FLA_Roush; 02-29-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

The 05 Roush Stage 2 has the stock air intake and tune.
The performance increase from the tune in your car should should be approx. equal to the performance increase your friend's Stang gets from the 4.10 gears.
Your friend's CAI produces 5-10 hp, so you can chalk up your victory to a better driver mod.

BTW, you said you beat him the 1st time. How did you fare in the other races?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
JP's_05_FLA_Roush
1st Gear Member

We were neck and neck the 2nd race, but my car was accelerating faster so if traffic would have let us, I would have passed by him again.

My car has the Roush short ram intake also.