Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can you easily swap/change cam followers(rocker arms) after taking the camshaft out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Default Can you easily swap/change cam followers(rocker arms) after taking the camshaft out?

I'm doing a cam swap this week and want to know if you can easily just pick up (literally pick up with your fingers) the cam followers once the camshaft is removed. I noticed that most people use the spring compressor tool but only when the cam in still in the valvetrain. I assume that the reason and need for the spring compressor is to release tension from the roller follower caused by the valve spring due to the cam still being in place. Anyway, I figured if I take the camshaft out by slowly unbolting the cam caps from the center out, I will be able to just simply pick and choose the roller follower I need to replace without the need for a spring compressor tool. Is this right?

Here is a picture I got of someone's exposed valvetrain with the cam out:

Notice how one of the cam followers is missing. Assuming you have the cam out as shown in the picture like this, would you be able to just take off those two other cam followers with no trouble?

Same goes for the lash adjusters (lifters)?

By the way, I hope this isn't a dumb question because I think I know what the answer is...I just need reassurance as I have never popped open my valve cover before.

Last edited by 'stangdude; 12-17-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Included picture to help avoid any confusion
Old 12-17-2017, 10:59 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

yes, they just lift out once the cam is out, then you simply lift out the lash adjusters from the pocket they sit in. you will need a way to keep the timing chain tight on the crank sprocket or youll be pulling the accessories and timing cover to fix timing. someone makes a "wedge tool" to accomplish this, some have had luck using a folded up garden hose. good luck

Last edited by bl817; 12-17-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:03 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Ah ok. That's what I figured...as I thought it was kind of a stupid question to ask since logically there shouldn't be anything but the cam itself that keeps tension on the followers and lash adjusters (well really it's the valve springs--but the cam is there to apply pressure on everything else). Didn't hurt to ask! Also, I have done extensive research now about swapping cams, but I decided last minute to change the followers and lash adjusters because I believe some of them are worn out due to slight ticking noises coming from the valve covers. I already have the wedge tool by the way. Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard that too about garden hoses being a good substitute though!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:02 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

Never does hurt to ask! a dude on another forum used WD-40 as assembly lube on an engine rebuild, didn't turn out to well for him, he should have asked lol. anyway, since your going to have the phasers off, wouldn't hurt to replace those as well with the upgraded design ones and new bolts, although I'm sure you've already accounted for those. good luck with the swap.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:49 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bl817
Never does hurt to ask! a dude on another forum used WD-40 as assembly lube on an engine rebuild, didn't turn out to well for him, he should have asked lol. anyway, since your going to have the phasers off, wouldn't hurt to replace those as well with the upgraded design ones and new bolts, although I'm sure you've already accounted for those. good luck with the swap.
Oh my goodness. What a shame! I guess that's what happens when you assume things

Well, the swap is probably going to be delayed at least for a few days because I ordered the full set of rockers and lifters from autoplicity.com. Worst mistake. Since I am in a hurry to get them in this week, I decided to pay the extra $30+ dollars for 2-day air shipping. Well, a day after I order the kit, they finally send me an email that has my order details and proceed to say, "thanks for you order, it is shipping directly from the manufacturer which will take 1-3 business days to process and then they will ship it to you"
What's the point of paying extra for shipping if that means it's still gonna take 5 days?! I should have ordered it from somewhere else...I know. But I thought I would get it in 2 days. Oh well.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:07 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Good thing about the cam swap on these engines is that it's super easy. I did mine, first time ever, in about 4 hours and that was with several hiccups along the way.

Make sure you order new cam sprocket bolts, by the way, they are TTY and one time use.