Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Black Smoke coming from the rear pipes. Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Black Smoke coming from the rear pipes. Should I be concerned?

I have a borla catback exhaust system and a bama race tune. Yesterday I let my friend drive my car (he's a good driver so I trust him). Anyway, he was driving it pretty hard getting close to red-line shifts and I noticed black smoke coming from the exhaust every time he shifted up. This explains the black reidue on the back of my car ALL THE TIME.

Does anyone else have this black residue all over the back of their cars running an exhaust system and bama tune? Sounds to me the engine is running rich, but I can only assume it's from the bama tune. I recently had my oil changed using royal purple. The black residue has always accumulated on the back of the car since I put the exhaust on. Any quick feedback would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Did you JUST get your exhausts? Mine gets black because I JUST got my Corsas. If you just got them it is because they have that oil coating inside and its just burning off. Eventually it won't happen when you break in the exhausts.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankeehick5.0
I have a borla catback exhaust system and a bama race tune. Yesterday I let my friend drive my car (he's a good driver so I trust him). Anyway, he was driving it pretty hard getting close to red-line shifts and I noticed black smoke coming from the exhaust every time he shifted up. This explains the black residue on the back of my car ALL THE TIME.
You may be getting blow-by oil from the crankcase that is making its way into your intake manifold via your PCV valve. This would tend to happen most while driving it hard.

My tips used to get black residue on them before I installed my UPR Catch Can. Now my exhaust tips are clean as they can be. Might want to look into a catch can...

Last edited by jdmcbride; 04-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
Did you JUST get your exhausts? Mine gets black because I JUST got my Corsas. If you just got them it is because they have that oil coating inside and its just burning off. Eventually it won't happen when you break in the exhausts.
Nope had the exhaust on now for four months or so...
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
You may be getting blow-by oil from the crankcase that is making its way into your intake manifold via your PCV valve. This would tend to happen most while driving it hard.

My tips used to get black residue before I installed my UPR Catch Can. Now my exhaust tips are clean as they can be. Might want to look into a catch can...
This could easily be it. What is a good catch can / oil seperator on the market nowadays? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankeehick5.0
This could easily be it. What is a good catch can / oil seperator on the market nowadays? Thanks in advance!
I really like UPR's Catch Can that I have on my car. I just emptied it yesterday and it was 3/4 full (probably 4,000 miles of driving)! That was definitely the cause of the black carbon/soot on my tips...
Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I really like UPR's Catch Can that I have on my car. I just emptied it yesterday and it was 3/4 full (probably 4,000 miles of driving)! That was definitely the cause of the black carbon/soot on my tips...
thanks man! I just saw this one online and it's extremely easy to install. Might go for this one by JLT. http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-bl...or-1112gt.html
Old 04-12-2012, 03:49 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

The JLT is smaller and will need to be emptied more often... but it does look well designed.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Burning oil is a bluish white smoke. Sounds rich or incomplete combustion. Pretty easy to tell the guys running an off road pipe because of the pollution all up their bumper over the exhaust tip. Could be the tune adding too much fuel. Things to check for when running rich:
Air filter should be clean or replaced.
Clean MAF (mass airflow sensor) with spray cleaner from auto store.
Could be a stuck fuel injector leaking fuel.
Exhaust leak could screw up O2 sensor readings. (thinks it's lean, adds fuel)
Could be a bad O2 sensor itself.
Faulty catalytic converters.
Poor spark, incomplete combustion? Check plugs, coil packs.

I'm sure there's more.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You must be running really rich to be smoking. My AFR was 10.8:1 on the dyno and I don't get any smoke.