Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 03:47 AM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Sound

Seriously though, brother Greyson posted a question here and all anybody did was bust his chops. Why quiet down the GT? Because that's what the man wants to do. If you want a more mellow sound and you can get it without sacrificing performance I say go for it. STEALTH. Yeah baby.

That being said, I don't know how one would go about doing it.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:34 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

OK, now that we know WHY - I think the problem is solved by leaving the exhaust alone, and enhancing the sound system [8D] A nice sub enclosure for the trunk and about 800 watts should do the trick (100 to each of the 4 mains, and 400 to the sub).

Greyson - in all my years of driving V8's, I'm not sure of a way to quiet it down. The STOCK mufflers are probably the quietest things you will find out there. Only thing I could think of would be the REVERSE of what we all did back in the early 80's. You'd have to find a custom exhaust shop to Y your down pipes into to one pipe and one muffler, then split that muffler back to the two exhaust tips. But that would be too much money and sacrafice too much power/performance. Another thing you could try is find a custom exhaust shop to build you all new pipes out of 2" instead of the 2.5" that is under there now. That would probably be cheaper than the Y route, but still sacrafice performance. And with these car's computers as sensitive as they are now - I would think either of these solutions would set the check engine light off pretty quickly.

These are both pretty drastic measures - neither of which I would attempt [&:]

Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 AM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

You could've used the "I live in a Ritzy neighborhood and Muffy down the street keeps complaining about the noise" At least a few people would have accepted that! AND...you are right, I don't have a ragtop. But I do ride around with the windows down just so I can hear this baby talk to me. Hmmm.....Rag owner.....Prof. Wizard what's your take on this "Silence of the Ponies"
Old 09-21-2005, 01:19 AM
rickman

Dont get SLPs!
I set off the honda's alarm seven parking spots away when i start my car!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ann/goodby.jpg
ok, i give up. how does one post a pic here, i'm new...and stupid
Old 09-21-2005, 01:49 AM
doobs
4th Gear Member

exhaust tunes>music tunes im used to only hearing exhaust because a lot of our cars radios we barely listen to or arn't hooked up.