Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brakes: you can teach an old dog new tricks, though the dog growls now and then

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Ruffy07

Default Brakes: you can teach an old dog new tricks, though the dog growls now and then

I bought red caliper covers for my 07 and decided to replace the pads while the wheels were off. Bought some Bendix ceramic pads from Rock Auto and went at it. Fronts were a breeze. 1 ratchet/socket and a trusty C-clamp and it was over in minutes. Jack up the rear, pull those real heavy 18" wheels off, remove the caliper and pads and whip out my trusty c-clamp again....WTF????
So im guessing that some of you know where this is going. Since it was about 105 with the heat index I decided to just button it all up and find me a caliper tool some other time. This was about 2 weeks ago and I got tired of looking at red front calipers and dirty rear calipers, so I rented the tool from AutoZone and everything went according to plan, although I personally think that the moron who invented screw in pistons should be waterboarded. Installed the caliper covers and took it for a spin. I heard metal on metal from the rear wheels. The clips were rubbing against the outer edge of the rotor. I was pissed. And hot too, temps near 98 already. Called American Muscle and they advised that I take the mounting clips off and grind some of the end off. Wasnt looking forward to taking the wheels off again but I did it, ground about 1/4" off the clip where it contacts the underside of the caliper and put it all back together. No noise!! All is well with the world. The car looks good now and the brakes work.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

I would agree with the screw in piston. Took us a while to figure out it would only screw in. Then once we got the tool we got the one for foreign vehicles (we didn't know) and it still took forever, almost messed up the top of the piston.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ruffy07
I bought red caliper covers for my 07 and decided to replace the pads while the wheels were off. Bought some Bendix ceramic pads from Rock Auto and went at it. Fronts were a breeze. 1 ratchet/socket and a trusty C-clamp and it was over in minutes. Jack up the rear, pull those real heavy 18" wheels off, remove the caliper and pads and whip out my trusty c-clamp again....WTF????
So im guessing that some of you know where this is going. Since it was about 105 with the heat index I decided to just button it all up and find me a caliper tool some other time. This was about 2 weeks ago and I got tired of looking at red front calipers and dirty rear calipers, so I rented the tool from AutoZone and everything went according to plan, although I personally think that the moron who invented screw in pistons should be waterboarded. Installed the caliper covers and took it for a spin. I heard metal on metal from the rear wheels. The clips were rubbing against the outer edge of the rotor. I was pissed. And hot too, temps near 98 already. Called American Muscle and they advised that I take the mounting clips off and grind some of the end off. Wasnt looking forward to taking the wheels off again but I did it, ground about 1/4" off the clip where it contacts the underside of the caliper and put it all back together. No noise!! All is well with the world. The car looks good now and the brakes work.
Ruffy07,

Wow, I'm sorry you went through such a hassle for such a small issue!

However I'm glad to hear we were able to point you in the right direction.

Let me know if you need any assistance in the future, rest assure that AM's got your back LOL!

- Dan
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Ruffy07

Dan, overall I have been pretty satisfied with AM's responses to several issues that I have had. Right now they just straightened out another issue with a product to my satisfaction. Cant ask for better customer service.