Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what do you think, 2011 or 2013 replacement engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:14 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Minion
I also thought the rev limiter was there for a reason...to keep the revs from going too high.
The rev limiter cannot prevent a mechanical over-rev due to vehicle speed and the wrong gear any more than the speed limiter can stop you from exceeding 155mph if you drop the car from an airplane.

It cannot overcome physics and prevent an engine from being subject to the gearing and speeds you're forcing upon it by a mis-shift. While in gear, despite any electronic controls, the engine speed is DIRECTLY tied to the speed of your rear tires via the transmission. The tranny has progressively longer and longer gears so that you can keep accelerating while allowing the engine to stay in the safe range, but if you force a shorter gear at a higher speed, the engine literally has no choice but to oblige. Spark and fuel will still be cut, but at that moment the momentum of the vehicle is driving the car, not the fuel being fed it.

Think of it like this: If the car is going down a hill, in gear, and you turn the engine off, do the revs drop to 0? Nope. It keeps on spinning, despite having no spark, and no fuel.

I honestly am not trying to come across as a dick or anything, but people really should understand what components of the car can and can not do before they start pushing the vehicle. Punishment is regularly pushing them within their limits. Pushing them beyond their designed limits is Abuse.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
The rev limiter cannot prevent a mechanical over-rev due to vehicle speed and the wrong gear any more than the speed limiter can stop you from exceeding 155mph if you drop the car from an airplane.

It cannot overcome physics and prevent an engine from being subject to the gearing and speeds you're forcing upon it by a mis-shift. While in gear, despite any electronic controls, the engine speed is DIRECTLY tied to the speed of your rear tires via the transmission. The tranny has progressively longer and longer gears so that you can keep accelerating while allowing the engine to stay in the safe range, but if you force a shorter gear at a higher speed, the engine literally has no choice but to oblige. Spark and fuel will still be cut, but at that moment the momentum of the vehicle is driving the car, not the fuel being fed it.

Think of it like this: If the car is going down a hill, in gear, and you turn the engine off, do the revs drop to 0? Nope. It keeps on spinning, despite having no spark, and no fuel.

I honestly am not trying to come across as a dick or anything, but people really should understand what components of the car can and can not do before they start pushing the vehicle. Punishment is regularly pushing them within their limits. Pushing them beyond their designed limits is Abuse.
That totally makes sense to me now. I get what your saying. ...missing the gear did happen rather quickly and its hard for me to remember exactly what happened. I will be sure to be more careful and stay out of the red.

On a side note I might have more problems. I left the dealer pretty excited about having a brand new engine. about 1.5 miles up the road the check engine light came on again. I went right back to the dealer and they fixed it right away. Said it was something to do with the variable timing. It was reset and I was on my way. Coming home from work the check engine light came on AGAIN! So, now I got to go back and have them check it out. They said if it came on again they would have to pull off the valve covers and see what is going on inside the motor. Maine has a Lemon law I might need to look into. As far as I know if a dealer can't fix the problem in 3 tries and its less than 3 years old and less than 18K miles and still under warranty I would ether get a replacement car or my full purchase price back.

I just want my car to work! ....or a 2013 ether would make me pretty happy
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Just continue to document everything, and yeah be sure to look into the lemon laws. I'd give them another few tries to fix it, and when you start to get frustrated let them know you're looking into the lemon laws. That might motivate them. You might consider taking down the pic of the car being raced in you sig though . If they found that they could possibly deny further work and make you SOL.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Just continue to document everything, and yeah be sure to look into the lemon laws. I'd give them another few tries to fix it, and when you start to get frustrated let them know you're looking into the lemon laws. That might motivate them. You might consider taking down the pic of the car being raced in you sig though . If they found that they could possibly deny further work and make you SOL.
Being raced? What are you talking about? Its a picture of it parked in front of the ocean
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I think the terminal velocity of a mustang falling out of the sky is less than 155, just saying.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I think the terminal velocity of a mustang falling out of the sky is less than 155, just saying.
Yeah yeah you physics stickler! Let's pretend the speed limiter is set at 50mph and the car is falling nose down. Then it should break its limiter.