Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thumping or bumping sound from the front of the car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by conor1148
I'd lift up the front end and give it a good visual inspection on the suspension/sway bar for signs of excessive wear or other issues with a flashlight.

If it made noise a thumping something is obviously hitting something else. If the sound stops I'd be worried whatever was thumping just finally broke.
The dealer said they inspected everything and it was all tight and nothing looked abnormal. I wish I could describe the noise better. It can only be heard inside of the car. It could be a rubbing sound, like something needs to be lubed. It may not be a bump. The dealer said that whatever it is would have to get worse so they could replicated it. Isn't that a nifty solution?

It's weird for a suspension problem to come and go. The car was smooth as butter on the drive home from the dealer. I felt it a tiny bit on the road where it always seems to start. Out of frustration, I slammed on my brakes and all was smooth again. It didn't even make a peep in my driveway. Sigh.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:29 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Jack the car up and take the front tires off. Loosen the top bolts that attatche to the sway bar and apply some lock tight, then crank the bolts down as tight as possible, a quarter turn can make a noise difference. I dealt with this and now noise free.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

My 12 model had a similar sound that was really loud over speed bumps and suspension travel........After two visits they replaced the lower control arms. (I kept telling them that's what it was, but they have to be sure in their mine.) Mine was louder when hotter and nothing when it was raining.

Ford has new LCA's with poly bushings out now or sometime soon....
Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Jack the car up and take the front tires off. Loosen the top bolts that attatche to the sway bar and apply some lock tight, then crank the bolts down as tight as possible, a quarter turn can make a noise difference. I dealt with this and now noise free.
It didn't make the noise today, but I will give that a try if it comes back.

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
My 12 model had a similar sound that was really loud over speed bumps and suspension travel........After two visits they replaced the lower control arms. (I kept telling them that's what it was, but they have to be sure in their mine.) Mine was louder when hotter and nothing when it was raining.

Ford has new LCA's with poly bushings out now or sometime soon....
Was yours constant though? Like, I went over 3 speed bumps today, and there was no noise at all. Also, were they able to duplicate the sound when you brought it in for service? The guy did say that the 2012 cars had noise issues with the suspension, but it was supposedly fixed for 2013. But when it comes down to servicing my vehicle, if they can't duplicate it, they won't touch a thing, which I can understand.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

It was doing it at least 80% of the time. Mainly on hot dry days, but they could not replicate the 1st time due to rain.

If it's not all the time it sounds like something different. I wish I could help.... My sound was obvious.... Can you get someone to drive over bump, take video for us and for Ford?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
It was doing it at least 80% of the time. Mainly on hot dry days, but they could not replicate the 1st time due to rain.

If it's not all the time it sounds like something different. I wish I could help.... My sound was obvious.... Can you get someone to drive over bump, take video for us and for Ford?
Mine didn't do it at all again today. It was almost 90 degrees today, so the heat was there. Also, the sound could only be heard from in the cabin. My plan was to make a video, but it hasn't done it. The dealership said something rocks can get into the gap on top of the strut or whatever, so the spray compressed air there during oil changes. I am not sure if they sprayed my car. I will let you know if it starts up again. Yours does sound like it very constant though.