Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about Cold Air Induction Systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
youngfalcon

Default Question about Cold Air Induction Systems

New owner/member here with first post. I am looking at a bunch of cold air systems and see a wide range of prices. Are the high dollar units much better than the average or lower price units? Do they really make more HP and increase mileage? I'm not into racing but thought they look like a good idea. What would you recommend? I don't want to spend any more money than necessary. Thanks for any replies.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

If it doesn't require a tune, it's for looks. That's what drives the price up.

I have a JLT and it came witha tuner and 3 tunes and it made a real difference on the street over stock GTs.

Everyone is going to jump on here and tell you theirs gives the most gains but I'd stick to calling up one of the more established vendors like Brenspeed or Americanmuscle and ask them what they found out on a dyno. This way you'll get a product with real gains and the customer support to back it up with lifetime tunes.

Oh yeah...Welcome to the forums!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:54 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

You'll see most of the gain from your tune. The cai will probably yield around 5 hp, if any at all. Actually i just read an article about how some aftermarket cai's dont filter out alot of harmful particles as well as stock/other brands. Depends on what type of filter though i believe.
Point is that the tune/tuner is what is most important.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

You definitely need a tune, BUT not all CAI's are created equally, IMO. I have a C&L Racer which is HUGE, it's a 4" diameter with a huge filter on the end. The JLT and a few others are similar. Then there are others that have a much smaller filter and smaller diameter tube, like the K&N. I don't know if those are no-tune intakes or what, but I know with the tune and C&L I felt a huge difference on my car.

Also if you want to google it, one of the mustang mags (I think 5.0?) did an intake test a few years ago, it's worth reading. They don't make the old style JLT anymore but it and the C&L Racer finished on top.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Stand-alone CAI's on these engines provide minimal gains; on the order of 3-4 RWHP. The PCM (Power Control Module) needs to be told what the incoming air flow is in order to make any substantial use of the extra flow.

You'll often see CAI & tune combos. The tunes are written using proprietary software which not only adjusts for the airflow but also changes/enhances quit a few other performance-related parameters. As far as the individual CAI's, the power gains from the CAI itself are all pretty much the same so chose the CAI based on what appeals to your eyes and wallet. The CAI & custom tune combo yields about 20-25 RWHP on the 4.6L with the tune providing about 80% of the overall gain.

Check out American Muscle's and Brenspeed's websites for info and deals on combos.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 PM
youngfalcon

Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 PM
youngfalcon

Thanks for your replies - they were very helpful!