Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Raxiom Smoked Coyote Tails

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Call me crazy, but I like the stock tail lights.

What I don't like is that ugly 3rd brake light. I don't get the whole concept of a 3rd brake light. If someone doesn't see the two giant ones, they aren't going to see the tiny 3rd one. I should have had it filled in when I removed the spoiler. I wonder if any cops would have noticed.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Probably not. I doubt it's even needed to be legal.

Hmm intredasting. Maybe I'll ask my local body shop about a delete.

Tempting to just pull it and find a way to fill the hole and paint it body color but that would leave a seam. Might look janky.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by E_cox310
Like I said earlier, I have those and I got one fix-it ticket. They are not dark at all but if you run into a jerk CHP or sheriff then you are screwed because they are darker than stock. These lights won't grab the attention of your average cop though.
Can you put some pics up in this thread of your rear? Specifically lit and unlit?

It's not that I don't like the stock tail lights, they're not bad or anything, I just think these give a clean, unique look.

Regarding the 3rd brake light, I don't know if a cop would notice, probably less-so than more obvious Vehicle and Traffic Law infractions such as limo tint, but it is required at least here in NY. I'm sure most states it is. A vehicle must be equipped with a brake light in the center of the vehicle, whether it be at the bottom of the rear window or the top or on the car itself, etc.

All these tickets seem to come down to your specific area, how noticeable it is, how much of an ******* you are driving, and what kind of a day the cop is having. Are there people that get tinted windows, modified lights, etc and never get pulled over? Yes. But you have to be willing to take that risk since a cop CAN use all these things as a sole reason to pull you over and cite you. Whether they will or not is another story.

If you drive around with limo tint, subs blasting, tinted tail lights, tinted head lights, big 20 inch chrome rims, a loud exhaust, HIDs and the like you're just asking to be pulled over. If your a regular guy with a little bit of a tint and maybe another small mod here and there and you drive normally you're probably not going to get hassled so much.

Obviously the law doesn't apply to any police officer or anybody in their family though, what else is new lol.

Last edited by mustangspotential; 04-10-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 AM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

I didn't know my third brake light had a burnt out bulb until I swapped it out with a smoked led version. What my tail lights look like;
Name:  DB7D5602-2A5A-4AB4-95D2-3A3CA4B4DD5A-1956-000002A5A74D0A31_zpsbe1bfd65.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  136.4 KB
Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 AM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

I'll upload some tomorrow night. Sorry for delay
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 AM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Here You go. Car is dirty
Name:  QQpRmr8.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  681.3 KB
Name:  CApleC2.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  647.9 KB

Last edited by E_cox310; 04-12-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Here You go. Car is dirty

Thanks for the pics, it does seem a little darker than I thought it was. Still not sure. Thinking I'll get pulled over often.

In the 2nd pic, you have the running lights on? How come all 3 aren't lit? Is the tail light that way?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Thanks for the pics, it does seem a little darker than I thought it was. Still not sure. Thinking I'll get pulled over often.

In the 2nd pic, you have the running lights on? How come all 3 aren't lit? Is the tail light that way?
In the 2nd pic, those were the brake lights, all three come on when you have your headlights on. Honestly they are not that dark and the same amount of light is shined at night. Cops won't sweat you though. It's only happened once and I've had them on for a year and a half now.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

In the 2nd pic, those were the brake lights, all three come on when you have your headlights on. Honestly they are not that dark and the same amount of light is shined at night. Cops won't sweat you though. It's only happened once and I've had them on for a year and a half now.
Yeah I probably will still get them. Thanks for the pics man.

Is your third brake light out then? Haha. You didn't get the sequentials right?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

Your third brake light doesn't come on unless you push the brake pedal. The only way to tell if its out, is to have a friend step on it for you while your outside looking at the light or to use something that's heavy to push down on the brake pedal; like a brick or a tool box.

Quick Reply: Raxiom Smoked Coyote Tails