Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 GT High Rpms, slow acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 PM
nvoluntary

Default 2005 GT High Rpms, slow acceleration

Ill try to make a long story short but about 6 months ago I was involved in a wreck, the guy rammed the side of my, nothing catastrophic.

About a week or two later the car was still fine, normal clutch feel, normal acceleration, if you wanted you could let the clutch out slowly and be at 15mph in a couple seconds without even giving it gas.

One morning I was getting ready to head to the store, pulled out of reverse, everything fine,then bam, I shift into first and the car was basically dragging, RPMS shot up and really, really slooowwww acceleration.

When I got back home, I noticed that there was some sort of liquid on the top of my shoe, took a look at my clutch pedal and almost my whole floorboard was covered in brake fluid and the brake reservoir was nearly dry. I replaced the clutch master cylinder because of the leak, still same problem. Since I live in apartments its hard to work on my car, so I ended up taking it to a transmission shop.

The guy said the slave cylinder was shot and because who knows how long this problem was going on the clutch disc was covered in brake fluid and he recommended changing it as well. Well now a month later, Im still having the same problem. Crappy acceleration with the high rpms and to actually get the car to move I have to give it more gas than I ever use to. Reverse seems fine, its as normal as when I first bought the car but everything else blows.

I will say one thing that is very, very strange about all of this... I remember resetting the battery a couple weeks ago and funny enough the first two or three shifts the car reacted the way it use to but then it went back to the same problem again, I dont get it.

I really love this car but Im getting to the point where I just want to get rid of it, I dont know if it was caused by the wreck or poor driving or who knows honestly... I would appreciate any ideas you guys might have, I plan to take it back to the transmission place Monday but I dont know what to expect....
Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

hmm that's pretty weird. Honesty i'd just take it to a local ford dealership and have them check it out. Shouldn't cost more than $800 to fix if it's nothing too major.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear this bro.....
When my slave cylinder/throw out bearing went out at 65K miles, I had a 2" dead spot at the top of my clutch pedal. Also, when driving, I could hardly get my shifter into any gear. I drove it to the shop and had to jam the shifter into every gear. I thought for sure I was going to damage something. Thankfully, the shop was only a mile down the road and the mechanic that worked on my car is a Mustang enthusiast. The mechanic has a 2002 mustang that he rebuilt from the ground up.
I ended up replacing (slave cylinder/throw out bearing/flywheel/clutch/pressure plate) with OEM parts. The only part I didn't need to replace was the master cylinder.
The clutch pedal seems a lot lighter than my original and is working as it should.
Good luck and hope you get it figured out soon!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 07-19-2013 at 10:07 AM.