Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Haynes or other manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Clutch job advice

My 2006 GT might need a clutch (it's the original with 118K miles on it now) In the coming year. I'm an older dude and I don't abuse my car, that is no burn outs, trips to the drag strip, etc, just normal driving. It isn't slipping yet, but I have noticed chattering once in a while.
I am planning to put in an Excedy clutch & pressure plate, new pilot bearing, new Ford slave cylinder and a new rear main seal just for good measure. I assume the rear main seal can be changed with the flywheel off. Correct me if I'm wrong.
My last question, should I replace the flywheel or is having my old one resurfaced good enough. I intend to keep this car pretty much the rest of my life so I don't want to cheap out, but I guess if there's no need for a new flywheel and resurfacing is good I'll go that route.
I'm not doing the job myself, but I want to know what I should specify and what parts to order before I take it in. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:57 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Not sure what the price difference is but why not get another factory one since you don't plan on power mods or racing it?
New flywheel bolts, new pressure plate bolts, slave cylinder, clutch kit, transmission fluid/oil, brake fluid for refilling the clutch system, Rear main seal, can't think of anything else. Not sure on the flywheel.