Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cam numbers/tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:11 PM
smokinbird33

Default Cam numbers/tuning

Hay fellas have a quick question. Bought a 05 gt about a year ago and it has cams in it. Good sounding I might add. Problem is they are unknown to me. Car seems a little rich due to the fuely exhaust. I know there would be some fuel smell due to off road pipe but seems excessive. I know its tuned due to lack of CEL with the pipes. Everything else engine wise seems to be stock down to the air filter. I want to tune it but need to know what cams are in it. Where are the grind numbers etched on these? Can I simply pull the valve cover and look or do I need to tare into it and start pulling sprockets. Can a dyno tuner tune it without knowing. Seems odd to have a hefty cam in it and no aftermarket CIA. Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

So how do you know it has cams?

And, did whomever you but it from give you a tuner?

The fuel smell is normal for not having cats.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:18 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

IF u do have cams, there is a simple way to find out what they are. I had to do this myself.

I bought my car a while back and it does have cams in it. Definitely hear them. And i knew that i couldnt really get a tune without knowing what they were. So what i did was simply take the valve cover off, carefully. and on the end of the cam (the flat face facing the driver, not the flat face facing the front of the car) there was a tiny etching of some kind of serial number. couldnt get a camera (or phone) back there to get a good picture. so we took a little mirror and angled it to see the serial number. then took a pic of that. then, simply take that picture and look at it in a mirror and the characters will flip back and u can read it. I put my serial number into google and it returned Stage 2 Comp Cams. pretty neat.

hope this helps
Old 12-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cema93
IF u do have cams, there is a simple way to find out what they are. I had to do this myself.

I bought my car a while back and it does have cams in it. Definitely hear them. And i knew that i couldnt really get a tune without knowing what they were. So what i did was simply take the valve cover off, carefully. and on the end of the cam (the flat face facing the driver, not the flat face facing the front of the car) there was a tiny etching of some kind of serial number. couldnt get a camera (or phone) back there to get a good picture. so we took a little mirror and angled it to see the serial number. then took a pic of that. then, simply take that picture and look at it in a mirror and the characters will flip back and u can read it. I put my serial number into google and it returned Stage 2 Comp Cams. pretty neat.

hope this helps
That's a good suggestion. I use mirrors at work for stuff like that.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:17 PM
smokinbird33

Yes good suggestion cema. I am familiar with the mirror magic trick so I will give it a shot. I hope the said numbers are there but it shouldn't take long to take a peak. Just needed to know the location. Simon trust me these have got to be cams. If it ran like this and not the car would be completely useless lol. I have you tubed many cam videos and is sounds exactly like a Comp Cam stage 3 SPR exactly. others are close but that one is identical. Blows my mind I get 23 to 25 mpg at 55. Just hate not being sure. Wonder if it had a CAI and he yanked it and slapped old on when traded in. Dealer didn't have a tuner for it I checked. Thanks and will update when I get the answer I seek.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM
smokinbird33

OK Stage 2 sounds the same as well. Thanks again fellas.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:40 PM
smokinbird33

This is a photo of the numbers on the back of the cam driver side. Was taken off a mirror. I am having trouble coming up with anything. I have even printed this and looked at it in a mirror but still come up with nothing. Any help would be great.