Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pypes headers and O/R X pipe on the way, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:18 PM
jordangelowitz

Default Pypes headers and O/R X pipe on the way, thoughts?

I have a 2009 Mustang GT with the pypes pype bomb axle back exhaust but after about a year I wanted to make my car louder and turn more heads. I just ordered the Pypes polished long tube headers with the pypes O/R X pipe and was wondering if anyone has this set up and what they think of it?

Also I plan on installing myself with my dad who was a mechanic for 25 years, anyone have anything to add about how the installation went for them?

And yes I have the Bama tuner and am getting another custom tune for the new upgrade.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2015, 05:30 PM
MuscleStangGT05
1st Gear Member

I have the Pypes LTH and O/R X-pipe. They are matched with mac axle back mufflers though. I absolutely love it. It is LOUD!!!! As in people hear me coming from 2 blocks away WITHOUT getting on it. I did the install myself. It was fairly easy with all the right tools. You will have to lift the motor and take out the K-member. I think I also had to remove the steering and that was probably my hardest part. The fitment is great. Took an afternoon. Haha, I remember starting it up in the garage with just the headers on....holy f%$k!!!! That was loud! Lol. But I think you will definitely get the heads turning like you are wanting. Only downside is in the mornings you will wake people up when it revs to 2500 rpm....but damn it sounds good. I've had many people stop me and ask what was done and are surprised it is only a little 289 ci motor. Not sure how the pypes pype bomb mufflers are though. Good luck and enjoy! Oh, and I'm sure they gave you one, but make sure you have an o2 sensor extender. I got 2 and was able to get away with only using one.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:43 PM
jordangelowitz

Thanks for the info! I'm super excited, they're supposed to be delivered on the 25th of Feb and I'm going to wait at my door and wait for them to come so I can install them. The only downside is I live in Canada and it's snowing right now :/, but I simply can't let them sit in my house without installing them.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:50 PM
MuscleStangGT05
1st Gear Member

You sound like me haha, then I get paranoid if they are a day late LOL. Good luck with the install, and I know you will enjoy them once they're on!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:03 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jordangelowitz
I wanted to make my car louder and turn more heads.
Be careful you don't also turn the cops' heads and get yourself a ticket.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

That's going to be really loud. The pypes bomb exhaust r resonator type axle backs which means very little sound restriction. The x pipe is gonna make it a little louder and raspier. IMO this is gonna be very loud
Old 02-26-2015, 10:50 PM
jordangelowitz

Just a quick update for anyone whose also wondering about buying this setup...

The install went great, my dad did most of it cause he's a pro, but everything fit really nicely. Once they were on I of course took it for a rip... and holy ***** these things are loud boys and girls. I've never heard another car on the street as loud as this. They are incredibly raspy with the pypes pype bomb axle backs on there so I will most likely be purchasing some different mufflers. I love it but I know I'm going to be harassed by the 5-0.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which mufflers will sound good with this setup?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:36 PM
MuscleStangGT05
1st Gear Member

the raspiness is from deleting the cats. But when I had a magnaflow muffler I had much much more raspiness. I talked with a muffler shop owner who basically said it was too small and wasn't allowing enough air in it. I have mac mufflers which are similar in size to Flowmasters. It definitely reduced a lot of the raspy sound, but some is still there....it's just the trade off for having no cats. But personally I love my macs....and I'm sure that Flowmasters would sound great also. Did you happen to make any sound clips? I did, but not sure how to upload a video.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:18 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I've had my Pypes LTs for 5 years and they are great. You could cut in some resonators mid mounted to reduce the rasp and give it a deeper tone. That's what I did. Pypes m80s and some torctite clamps is all you need. No welding at all.