Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Issue ripping supercharger belts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:53 PM
QuentinBenac

Default Issue ripping supercharger belts

Hey guys,

I recently installed a 2.3 whipple supercharger on my 2013 Mustang GT 5.0. I drove it around town datalogging without issue. Lund wanted a wot 3000-7500rpm log so I get on the highway and around 7000 rpm I hear a rip and something hitting my hood. I pop the hood to see that I ripped a rib or two off the supercharger belt and the frayed belt is spinning around hitting the hood... Good times... The ribs came off he engine/timing cover side. I figured it may have been the potentially sharp grinded off bosses on the timing cover so I pulled it all apart grinded every single rib and boss flush to the timing cover and sanded everything. I put a new belt on and had the same issue the very next pull (around 7200rpm) after putting it together ripping on the engine side again. The alignment MAY be off on the supercharger pulley (needs to slide toward bumper by the looks of it? ) so I loosened all the bolts on the blower to try and slide it up but there is no play in the holes. I notice the kit came with no shims but I may try some on the blower pulley.... ? Can my engine spin that high rpm on my setup? (2.3 ford racing whipple blower 3.375inch pulley and I think it's a Roush intake manifold that comes with the ford racing kits?) Any help would be great guys.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:15 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Your alignment is off. Everything will be based off of the crank. The power steering and AC are adjustable, along with shimming the blower pulley. Gates belts has good tech info on their website on how to align pulleys and the tolerances.