Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bleeding 06 GT brakes ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:35 PM
427Impala
1st Gear Member

Default Bleeding 06 GT brakes ??

In process of bleeding/flushing brakes, front flows fine using my Motive pressure device, but the rear has no flow once the bleed screws are opened. Normal? Is there a valve I need to hold down/open??

All advice appreciated.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

This does not sound good. When bleeding S197 brakes there is a sequence according to the shop manual:

1. Passenger rear
2. Driver Rear
3. Passenger front
4. Driver Front

What happens without the pressure bleeder when you open the passenger rear bleeder and press the brake pedal? Is there fluid flow?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:02 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

There should be flow, as Scott2 said, have someone press the pedal and open the bleeder. If there's no fluid coming out take the bleeder out completely to make sure the problem isn't the bleeder screw. If there's still no fluid take it to a brake shop. Brakes are not something you want to mess with unless you know exactly what you're doing.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Just open the screw and stomp on the pedal lol. Like the guys said, if the valve is open fluid will flow. Is the line twisted?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 427Impala
In process of bleeding/flushing brakes, front flows fine using my Motive pressure device, but the rear has no flow once the bleed screws are opened. Normal? Is there a valve I need to hold down/open??

All advice appreciated.
How much pressure did you have on the guage for the motive pump? Typical is between 15-20psi. If the bleeder is open and there is no flow, it could be a clogged bleeder. Did you use a paper clip in the hold to see if you could get it flowing, or remove the bleeder altogether to see if it flows from the bleeder receptacle?

Also, as Scott2 pointed out, there is a correct sequence to follow for future reference.