Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2014 Gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 PM
MNKYBZNZ

Default 2014 Gas tank

Is there an "overflow" on the gas tank on the 2014 GT? Twice now, Ive seen gas on the ground, and heard it dripping out when I filled up. Didn't seem to drip anymore after I stopped fueling, and didn't notice anything like 8 miles later to indicate a leak.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:53 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Are you the guy who just keeps clicking the trigger getting in every last drop instead of putting up the hose after it automatically shuts off? If so, that is your problem.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 PM
MNKYBZNZ

To answer your question, no, I don't do that.

I usually stop when it clicks unless I know I haven't filled it up and may need to reposition the nozzle. Overflow on the tank, yes or no would suffice.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 2014 Gas tank

Yes it does.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:57 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

It isn't a problem limited to the Mustang. There is a recall on the 2015s for tank
issues.

Some 2005-2014 Mustang owners have complained that their gas tank does not always fill up
properly. In other words, the gasoline does not always reach the maximum capacity or the gasoline
sputters out of the gas tank filler neck for no discernible reason. Some owners have observed that
wiggling the gas pump while it is still positioned in the gas tank filler neck or reinserting the gas
pump back into the gas tank filler neck may resolve the issue. It's recommended that you have your
complete fuel tank system inspected by a licensed professional. Otherwise, you might notice a
decline in gas mileage, as gasoline leaks or evaporates while you drive.
https://mustangforums.com/how-tos/a/...roblems-400312

You can also have a leak where the vent hose connects at the tank. If so, even if
fuel isn't leaking out, it's evaporating...
Old 02-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 2014 Gas tank

Hay fellow S197 owners. I had the dubious experience of melting both vent hoses with the "Long Tube Headers." Yes, those long tubes come very close to your vent tubes. I would suggest, even if there isn't a problem yet, to wrap those vent hoses with "high temp" wrapping. That is one of the reasons it takes us motor heads so long to get fuel into the tank. There are other reasons it takes so long but the vent hoses are one of the popular ones. The hoses melt, causing blockage, and that causes a lot of problems. Let me know what you find.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:35 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

05' GT stock exhaust, still have to turn the gas handle upside down to get it to fill. works every time. yet another reason to not mess with LTH. JMHO.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:40 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 2014 Gas tank

For anyone out there having trouble filling their gas tank. This was specifically a 2008 GT but might apply to your vehicle. Kinda long but worth the read.
I, like many others on this Forum, have been plagued with the dreaded fuel fill problem. Mine started from day 1 (the day I bought the GT, the dealership tried to fill tank and only got ½ tank filled… we all assumed it was their pump). I’ve had my GT for 18 months now (14K miles), and run into the fill issue about every 3rd or 4th fill-up. Each time I ran the tank down to the “50 mile” warning, and when filling, set pump at slowest fill speed. When issue does surface, I can only get ½ tank in before pump shuts off...and fuel is all the way up in the filler neck. I’ve even crawled under the car at station and tapped on the saddle tanks… finding the left saddle tank filled while the right saddle tank sound like the tin-man (empty). OK, now on to the news you can use. I took car in yesterday for the RCM Module (airbag) reflash. While there, I told them I’ve had it with the fuel fill issue. I was really impressed with the dealership as they really owned up to the problem (stating they had run into a number of these in the last 2 years) and methodically trouble-shot the problem. Here’s an excerpt of the work-order notes:

“Using IDS and ran EVAP test. Vehicle pass test. Tried to add gas and monitor fuel tank pressure. Started out at 2.6 volts then it jumped to 3.5 volts to HIGH. Disconnect each line one by one to check for blockage. Found Charcoal EVAP Canister plugged. Replaced Charcoal canister assembly. Retest OK. Also removed fuel filler neck and inspected, OK. Inspected check valve in fuel tank, OK.

Note to Customer: This vehicle is equipped with SADDLE style tank which has two sections. Vehicle will not fill up completely unless the tank is below ¼ tank and unless you are using the “autofill” function on pump on the lowest flow setting”.

So, based on their notes, it appears while they were measuring the pressure in the tank, they witnessed a voltage jump. Assuming this means it was requiring additional current to attempt to ‘fill’ or force air out of the right tank via the EVAP system… thus concluded there was a slight obstruction (a.k.a., charcoal EVAP canister). They added new EVAP canister assembly, and I’m happy to report that today, while nervously adding fuel, I was able to fill to 100% capacity!

They also stated that they eliminated other possible concerns such as:
Fuel Filler Neck (visual inspection and performed adjustment)
Fuel Vapor Control Valve (electronically tested and passed)
EVAP Canister (failed and replaced)
Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) sensor: (electronically tested and passed)
Canister Vent Solenoid: (replaced with the EVAP Canister)
EVAP Canister Purge Valve: (electronically tested and passed)