Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Throttle Lag issue Resolved ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:08 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

Default Throttle Lag issue Resolved ?

I installed a CAI, and a SCT tune a few months ago, while the Throttle Delay has deminished
it is still noticeable.

I read on another forum about a posable fix for the remaining trottle lag on the 05 GT

The procedure:

- Turn your key to the ON position (not just ACC), wait for the various dash warning lights to go out - but do NOT start the car.

- Press your throttle all the way down in one smooth motion - just do it at a normal speed (take about 2-3 seconds to hit bottom).

- Let it up, as soon as you hit the bottom.

- Turn off your ignition and wait 3-4 seconds.

- Start the engine up normally and drive.

May have to repeat 3 times for the Computer Training to complete
this procedure trains the throttle variable switch to the throttle body servo motor.
May need to be redone everytime you flash the PCM.
The Strange thing is, I went through this sequence and all my downshift hesitation went away. no pausing and lurching when Stomped on.

I have found simular refrences to the throttle by wire lag on other cars.

FROM A CHRYSLER FORUM
On my chrysler 300m it has an electronic gas pedal. There is actually a program mode you can get into the trottle response. You go through a series of steps then depending how fast you depress the pedal and release it determines how sensitive the pedal response is. Have to be careful of you calibrate it to fast you will find if you just touch the pedal the car flys. I have listed the proceedure below. A long shot but the best we have so far.

The throttle by wire used to do a couple strange things like hold gear to redline even if she wasn't floored. Had to back way off in order for her to shift. Now I back out slightly and she will shift up a gear like I would expect. Throttle response appears more "cable" like as well. Haven't tried a WOT run through the gears yet to see how it effects the feel of the shifts.

Here's the proceedure:

- Turn on your key, wait for the lights to go out (on the dash)
- Press you throttle all the way down, just do it at a normal speed, dont stomp it, but dont baby it.
- Let it up, as soon as you touch bottom
- Turn off your ignition. crank it up and drive.

If your Automatic has a delay when you get on it, Try this, I would like to know if it really works or is it a plesibo effect.....
I do not think this works with the Manual trans, but try it ..

Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle Lag issue Resolved ?

I'll give it a try right now

thanks for the info
Old 10-31-2005, 12:33 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Ok I tried and did notice a small difference, probably because I already have a kickin rad tune. In 5th at 80 the front end would jump at a quick stab to half throttle instead of just getting there.
I DEFINITLY noticed a change in the downshift. With O/D off from 55, it went straight to third and instead of doing the lurch it acted as if I had only let off the gas, then straight to 3rd, 4th, and finally 5th @ 138. This sucker really climbs the mph ladder quick, but it did that before.

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna do the pedal trick a few more times tomorrow whenever I'm about to go anywhere to really set it straight.

While we are on the subject, I was doing some datalogging a few weeks ago with the xcal2 and had pedal position and actual throttle position pid's selected, as well as a few others. When I got home, I put the two on the gauge part of the program to review.
Anyways, I saw that when the pedal is at 100%, the actual throttle position is only at 88%. I don't know why this is, but it troubles me. Is there a reason the throttle will not go 100% like it is told to (IT DOES WHAT ITS TOLD OR ITS GETS THE HOSE AGAIN NYARRR)? Am I the only one that noticed this?
I want to take the intake off the throttle body and rev it while someone watches the blades to see how much they open, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Any ideas?

edit: come to think of it i forgot to turn the car off before I started it.....dunno if that matters, but I'll try again later
Old 10-31-2005, 01:10 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Here is the datalog if you want to look at it (have to use the sct livelink software from their site, of course)

Right click save as
Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 AM
whackbag
1st Gear Member

I have been expeiriencing the same throttle lag as described. I was goin to post something, but look slike you guys beat me too it. I have an 06 GT with Xcal2 and C&L. If you guys figure it out, please post the fix....
Old 10-31-2005, 01:56 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

has anybody tried this with a manual tranny?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:57 PM
gkaufman

Andyman, Your findings support a feeling I had. I noticed that the numbers show that at max pedal the blades arent open all the way. But I always wondered why I could push the throttle part way down say "75%" to the floor the car always felt the same as when I put it on the floor. The numbers prove what I was feeling was truly that. The throttle blades arent open all the way and they are open the same amount from about 70% to 100% pedal effort. I believe you have found something here... And if this is the case I believe we can unleash some mad power if we can get this POS to open 100%. WTF?! I knew I felt something. How can we find out more about this. I dont have an sct xcal2 yet .. was waiting until after christmas to get one so I cant datalog to back up your evidence. But I can tell you that I feel what the numbers show.

Georg
2005 Satin Silver GT 5spd
Mods: K&N aircharger, FRPP Axle-backs
Old 10-31-2005, 01:58 PM
gkaufman

and yes I tried it with mine... My heel and toe shifts seem better cause the throttle doesnt take as long to register but could be just me. However, this does not resolve the 100% blade open issue I believe we are about to uncover.

Georg
2005 Satin Silver GT 5spd
Mods: K&N aircharger, FRPP Axle-backs

Old 10-31-2005, 02:16 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

HERE IS THE PROOF!!! that we were wrong lol
I went slow the first 2 times the mashed it the last 2 times. opens pretty quick, and looks like that is about as open as it gets.
i wonder if there is a faster servo you can put in....although this one seems pretty quick

Eye witness account

cameras rule
Old 10-31-2005, 02:30 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andyman
While we are on the subject, I was doing some datalogging a few weeks ago with the xcal2 and had pedal position and actual throttle position pid's selected, as well as a few others. When I got home, I put the two on the gauge part of the program to review.
Anyways, I saw that when the pedal is at 100%, the actual throttle position is only at 88%. I don't know why this is, but it troubles me. Is there a reason the throttle will not go 100% like it is told to (IT DOES WHAT ITS TOLD OR ITS GETS THE HOSE AGAIN NYARRR)? Am I the only one that noticed this?
I want to take the intake off the throttle body and rev it while someone watches the blades to see how much they open, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Ok, I pulled the CAI Hose off and had someone rev the engine while I watched. And you are right, the blades only open to about 85%. Engine on or off
the same result. I had noticed a set screw on the top but I think that may set the blade so that it does not close all the way.

I wonder if the BBK or CNC Aftermarket TB will take care of the rest?????

EDIT ---
My son was not pushing the peddle al the way down, the seat was to far back for him,
With the Engine On it does not open as far as when the engine is off. The PCM is controlling it .

Quick Reply: Throttle Lag issue Resolved ?