Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:03 PM
SallyPickett

Default Reliability

New here. I've got an 06 GT, auto (see avatar). I'm not mechanically inclined, so I depend on professional mechanics... and the warranty for any unforeseen problems. I would like to add some performance items (HP & Torque), but am not sure of how reliable such products are and if they'll 'hurt' the car, rendering me warranty-less and paying out the butt for repairs.

Can anyone give me the low down on aftermarket stuff?!?! I'd obviously go to a reputable installer (thinking of Extreme Mustang near LA). Somewhere around $2000 worth of stuff.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:11 PM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Reliability

You might want to reconsider the mods. I have experienced some minor problems with my 05 GT and Ford is adamant that any mods whatsoever, even tires and wheels, will nullify the warranty. They are nasty about it too. I've quoted the magneson moss warranty act until I'm blue in the face and they are still being jerks. If you want to do some mods, you might want to check with your dealer.

Steve
Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

yeah always check with the dealer first. also ford racing has a few parts out for the 05-06 gt's maybe if the dealer installs a ford part they will warranty the car. an easy mod for you to do yourself: get a sct xcal2 flash tuner from a good dealer( i have one from alternative auto in michigan, lidio has more experience with the autos than anyone else). that way if the car needs service you can just plug the tuner in and download the stock tune back in the ecm. also i think k&n makes a cold air intake(cai) that does not require a retune of the ecm. this should not alter the warranty since it's just a air filter. those two mods will net you 20-35 hp and the trans shifting and throttle response will feel like you picked up 75hp! i ran 13.70 in my auto with just lidio's tune and nothing else.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:11 PM
SallyPickett

I checked with Extreme Mustang Performance in SOCAL... this is what they came back with... opinions? Ideas?

Ford Racing Gears (3.73 or 4.10) $550 installed

Magna-Flow Exhaust cat back $520 installed

Magna-Flow Exhaust x-pipe with cats $605 installed

Steeda Cold air kit $322 installed

Diablo Sport Predator flash tuner $479 tuned and installed

Progress Suspension systems starting at $1799 to about $3300 for the complete set up

*I was thinking of NOT doing the suspension... is this ok or not?* They said this should net me about 50 horsepower. Regardless, what kind of HP/Torque increases could I expect? What kind of 1/4 mile times could the car achieve?

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:07 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

the exhaust is one of preference weather you like the sound of x-pipe or h-pipes and same for mufflers. they won't pick up much performance since ford did an awesome job on the exhaust system. gains for mufflers are usually about 5hp and high flow cats with x-pipe maybe 5-10hp more. definitly get the tuner and the gears. suspension again is preference i want mine low down, mean and fast so i bought a kit from ground control in california. that will give me the option of adjusting the ride height where i want it. i drag race so i don't care about corners i went with AJE k-member and tubular a-arms also. i will have it installed in a couple of weeks when the rest of the components get here. i'll post a pic when done.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:36 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

One thing to consider is CA smog laws. I think when you buy a new car you don't have to smog it for like 5-7 years (not sure). But at some point you will have to smog it, and some things will not pass. A tune? I don't know, but it can easily be put back to stock. The X-Pipe? I don't think it'll pass the visual inspection, and that's a little more work to put back. I'd talk with your mechanic and the manufacturer about it before you do it.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:23 AM
05zexstang
1st Gear Member

Go to RPM outlet and get your gears yourself. I have seen 4:10 Ford racing gears for 169$. Unless they are charging you 370$ for install. That's too much. I haven't got any gears yet but Iv'e checked around and I can get them installed including gears for 430$ around 250$ for install. RPM outlet has the cheapest parts I've seen around. As far as the cold air intake goes my little sister could put that in. It has easy to follow instructions. I know how Ford is with the warrantys but my car is not going to go modless. I don't care how damn stingy they are. Know what I'm saying? You can learn to be mechanically inclined you just have to be willing to learn. Pulleys, throttle bodys, CAI's, exhaust, etc. All things that you can do yourself, and save you a butload of money in the meantime. Don't be afraid to learn.