Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Appearance Rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:15 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Appearance Rant

allfyre Date 11/14/2005 8:17:05 PM
More so, I have a strong belief in individuality and personal freedom (as in: "this here jacket represents a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom") and I don't really care about what they do or don't do with their own cars. I certainly don't think that putting an oversized racing spoiler on a mustang is the same as beheading someone over religious differences or cursing at babies. Do I think a beehive muffler sounds good on a Civic? No. But I have no objection on moral grounds.

4. The general public
You brought up the idea that it's wrong to Jipe-out a mustang because, I guess, most mustang enthusiasts wouldn't. At the same time you alluded to the idea that yourself, along with the "general public" get to decide what's acceptable for people to do to their own cars, and in the privacy of their homes, and in their bedrooms, and in what they are allowed to watch, read, say, think and feel.
I’ll chime in here too:

Thank goodness we have SallyPickett to serve as the Mustang Modification Police Chief to tell everyone what is an acceptable modification. I wouldn’t know what to do with my Mustang if it wasn’t for SallyPickett telling me what is and what isn’t an acceptable modification to make on MY CAR!

SallyPickett - 11/14/2005 2:01:04 PM
Keep it stock and do the rest of us Mustang owners a favor by saving us the eyesore.
The opinionated comments by SallyPickett are the same type of cr*p I heard from the Model A purists who criticized me for modifying my 1928 RHD Phaeton. [sm=icon_blah.gif] Hello? It is my car, and I have the right to modify it any way I want. SallyPickett is free to offer up opinions, but in my opinion has overstepped his bounds by telling us what modifications are OK and what aren’t.

It’s not "warm & fuzzy" to believe that people have the right to make their own choices in modifying their Mustangs. Some choices are BAD[:'(], but that’s their choice to make. You may or may not care for the way I have modded my car (which isn’t riced out). If you don’t like what I've done to my car - too bad (of course you are entitled to your opinion). But I purchased and modified my new Mustang for my own enjoyment. I love my car but it’s only a friggin’ car. It’s not like I cut off somebody’s head! Get over it.

OK, my rant is over.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 AM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Hey! Appearance mods are OK by me. If done tastefully!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:50 PM
SallyPickett

You're turning this into a quasi-social issue about personal freedoms... I'm waiting for someone to bring-up the Bill of Rights for crying out loud.

This is about OPINIONS. Plain and simple. Everyone has one. To each his own. I presented my opinion, and everyone is chiming in, which is good.

However, calling someone the "Mustang Police" or whatever, is a bit nuts. It's amazing how so many people READ only part of a post/article and claim to UNDERSTAND the points being made; or, read the whole thing and fail to see the big picture. I gave the beheading example, then immediately stated that it was overblown, and provided a more reasonable example. An oversight?

I'm not DEMANDING that someone does or doesn't do something to their car... I'm stating that the 'riced-out' mustangs I've seen are HIDEOUS and would look much better stock... MY OPINION.

About being 'warm and fuzzy': when you present an opinion, you should back it up with REASONS why you feel that way. Otherwise, the opinion is baseless, null and void. Thankfully, it was elaborated-on in a later post to support why you feel the way you do. Its all about understanding someone else's opinion, in this case.

And since I MUST BE the official representative and spokesman for the general public (another ludicrous statement), I'll say the following: Overall, 'riced-out' Mustangs are hideous. MOST people, I'm sure, feel this way... otherwise MOST mustangs would look like that.

Jipes, Ricers, whatever... its not an ethnic reference directed at PEOPLE, but cars. No P.C. crime there.

While I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and belief system, I also tend to believe I'm right... otherwise, why have an opinion?!?!

Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 PM
diablito
1st Gear Member

Ok im gonna add something that pisses even me off, but its the truth. If you all wanna go way back to the beggining of the mustang, the car began shooting at a target that is, well everything against the high performance industry. It was a secretaries car. It wasn't till carrol shelby was asked to take the project of converting the "secretary car" into a race worthy machine. So ford gave him a couple of thousand dollars and the shelby 350 was born. Now, if you think about it, carrol shelby was a "ricer" of his time because he didn't just add parts to the engine, but he also did body, suspension, and appearance modifications. The first years most things were functional on the mustang, but after a couple of years, less and less parts were functional. So does this make carrol shelby a ricer? You are also saying that Ford engineering team are ricers too since the 94-2004 mustangs have a bunch of non-functional scoops. I do agree that people make appearance mods because they want to make it their own and have a car that does not blend with others. Besides, if it weren't for "ricers", What the hell would we be racing out on the streets on the weekends? Besides new generation camaros, TransAms , and GTO's, there are no other cars that still support the sport. All the real muscle cars are trailer queens and garage retired. Im just saying thank god for the new age of kids who have revived the sport by making 4 bangers fast enough to keep up with the big boys, because if they didn't my weekends would be boring as hell.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:28 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

It's too late now. You've made it painfully obvious that you are a **** sympathizer who is notoriously mean to children and dogs.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:19 PM
SallyPickett

ORIGINAL: diablito

Ok im gonna add something that pisses even me off, but its the truth. If you all wanna go way back to the beggining of the mustang, the car began shooting at a target that is, well everything against the high performance industry. It was a secretaries car. It wasn't till carrol shelby was asked to take the project of converting the "secretary car" into a race worthy machine. So ford gave him a couple of thousand dollars and the shelby 350 was born. Now, if you think about it, carrol shelby was a "ricer" of his time because he didn't just add parts to the engine, but he also did body, suspension, and appearance modifications. The first years most things were functional on the mustang, but after a couple of years, less and less parts were functional. So does this make carrol shelby a ricer? You are also saying that Ford engineering team are ricers too since the 94-2004 mustangs have a bunch of non-functional scoops. I do agree that people make appearance mods because they want to make it their own and have a car that does not blend with others. Besides, if it weren't for "ricers", What the hell would we be racing out on the streets on the weekends? Besides new generation camaros, TransAms , and GTO's, there are no other cars that still support the sport. All the real muscle cars are trailer queens and garage retired. Im just saying thank god for the new age of kids who have revived the sport by making 4 bangers fast enough to keep up with the big boys, because if they didn't my weekends would be boring as hell.
You get an "A" on your history test!

Now, if you can compare anything that Shelby put together to the "Ricer" cars on the road today, you need your head examined. I DO see your inference that Shelby MAY be considered a "Ricer" in his time... but NO ONE can disagree that Shelby's cars were asthetical and/or functional IMPROVEMENTS... his styling wasn't as radically-deviating as that of the modifiers of today. I said STYLING, not performance oriented (yes, his styling was way different, but let's admit it... it was no where near the same as today... and his cars became production models). Add to that the fact that Shelby's cars were overwhelmingly accepted and beloved. No one ever created a website (or in those days, a magazine, newsletter, etc.) making fun of his cars... (see www.laughatrice.com for comparison).

I do NOT take issue with people who performance modify their vehicles... but when you start putting MASSIVE spoilers, neon lights and stickers all over the outside of your car... let alone a big fart can muffler on a otherwise stock Civic... that seems to be a bit ridiculous... once again MY opinion.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:19 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Sarcasm – a mode a satirical wit depending on biting, caustic, ironic language to make a point.

The main point of my sarcastic reply to your posts was to say that you are free to express your opinion (as guaranteed by the Bill of Rights), but that you overstepped your bounds by telling others to not modify their Mustangs a certain way that you find "hideous". The language you used in several posts clearly shows that your intent went beyond stating your opinion, into a rant to encourage others to modify their behavior (i.e. to not rice their Stangs).

The reasons offered to support any particular opinion really are irrelevant, unless you are stating your opinion in order to influence the behavior of others (in which case you need to back up what you say). Well, opinions expressed without the reasons behind them may be null and void to you, but for the person with those opinions, it still matters to them. It is my opinion that riced out Mustangs look stupid, and you don't need to know why I feel that way. It is my opinion, and I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not - I'm not trying to influence anyone.

How is this posting related to Mustangs? It isn’t, but it pertains to my lesser point, which is to get this garbage off a technical forum and move it to the off-topic area.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: SallyPickett

ORIGINAL: Derf00
Well looking at it from a Mustang puriest angle...why bother to make a V6? Isn't the heritage mainly V8?
Not quite... many Mustangs have had V6s. My post never referenced/distinguished between 6/8 cylinders. I can't see buying a 6 cylinder stang, but I can see why some would (purely asthetics, vs. asthetics & performance).

This reply really doesn't have anything to do with ricer appearance mods, though.
It doesn't, but if you're going to get on the 'Heritage' aspect of the car, that's a pretty broad topic. IMO if you're going to modify a stang engine, body, interior, or whatnot, it's the owners choice. There are mods (apperance and engine type) I would shake my head in disgust or disbelief. Luckily the Mustang doesn't fall into the rice crowd because it ISN'T rice. You will have the ocassional schmoe that tries to make it look like civic with the gaudy body kit, mismatched wheels, partially tinted windows, and stickers all over, but those are few and far between. There will always be an idiot in the world.

You're entitled to your puriest opinion and I'm entitled to my more liberal opinion. That's what car clubs are for. Lets people of similar minds/likes hang out together and bash everyone else or just enjoy each others company. Times change, cars change, people change. I agree that mods should be tastefully done, but it's a subjective viewpoint on what is 'tasteful'.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:58 PM
TomsEleanor
1st Gear Member

DAMN ALLFYRE!!!!! i really missed the boat. wish you would have told me bout that headliner before. I had a 96 STS im really wishin i had one in there! shoot! lmmfao
Old 11-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: SallyPickett

Seriously... people...

You don't see anything odd about making an American Muscle car into a rice vehicle? Aren't they two totally different cars? Big engines vs. small, high-rev, whiny 4 bangers? Two totally different classes of automobile deserve two different classes of respect.

Why buy the Muscle car to make it look like a ricer? Counter-intuitive.

Funny thing... MANY people consider the MOPAR guys major gearheads and muscle car fanatics... that's hard to disprove... they keep MOST of their cars visually stock, and the thought of 'ricing' a Charger SRT8 or whatever other Mopar is punishable by death to those guys. Yet, so many Mustang owners cheapen their cars. Its sick.
Apparently you missed the 4-doors on those new shnazzy go fast grocery getters. The purists are screaming bloody murder for taking a two-door classic and turning it into a friggin sedan. I missed this post on my last review so This is a little out of sequence.

I don't consider the new Dodges cars 'Muscle Cars' they are sports sedans in my book. 4-door = sedan. I Rank the new charger up there as the big brother of the NEON and don't get me started on the Magnum...it's a STATION WAGON or a SQUISHED MINI-VAN.

You talk about purity in the looks lineage of the Mustang but you make a poor comparison by taking other classics and saying they are true muscle cars in their current forms. Hmm...maybe I'll make a four-door mustang and call it a muscle car. Of course..I'll leave everything else 'stock'

Quick Reply: Appearance Rant