Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

MGW installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 PM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MGW installed

I wouldn't say it's any harder, just much shorter and noisier. I like it though, I am making up reasons why I need to go out and drive my car. I think it was a great investment, even though the stock shifter wasn't bad in comparison to other cars.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

ORIGINAL: Stone629

That TKO is a tough trans to shift Subotai. Nature of the beast. Its worth it with the goals you have set for sure!

SteelStang, expect a little more resistance between shifts and way shorter throws. My shifter helped my ET alot btw.
Cool [sm=smiley20.gif]. The stock shifter isn't really that hard to shift to me, guess my on and off weight lifting over the years has paid off for something.You really saw that much gain with just the shifter? Sounds like this mod is worth it in a lot of ways.
It really did. I can shift quick enough now that I don't even lift on the throttle. You'd be surprised how much time you lose between gears, a tenth of a second goes by pretty quick.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone629

That TKO is a tough trans to shift Subotai. Nature of the beast. Its worth it with the goals you have set for sure!

SteelStang, expect a little more resistance between shifts and way shorter throws. My shifter helped my ET alot btw.
lol.. This is true.. at least I won't have to worry so much about breaking it.. With the 3650 everytime I pulled a powershift it felt like it was going to shyte the bed on me.. Before I bought this one I'd never had a TKO tranny before so I wasn't quite sure what to expect as far as how hard the shift would be.

And yah steelstang, just about any decent short throw, be it MGW, Steeda's Tri-ax, or something else of a quality make, like Stonie said it's designed to help you get through your gears faster powershifting.. You can loose between 3-5 tenths off on your ET by lifting off the pedal too far on shifts alone through the 1/4, and that's already assuming you're quick with the stick.. With a little driver mod and a good short throw I should think that by powershifting you can cut that much off of your ET if you haven't been doing so already..
Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Nice gains! Question on powershifting. Howmany times a month/drag strip passes do you think the stock tranny can take without a kaboom powershifting? I would like to try this out possibly and see the difference between regular shifting and this, but don't want to do itso many times, the tranny dies extremely early b/c of it. Thanks ahead!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Don't do this, but I'll make at least 10 passes each trip and I make 1-2 trips to the track each month. Been doing that for about a year with this car. I refuse to take my car down the track and not powershift. I just don't see the point of shifting easy when the goal is to squeeze out every tenth possible.I really think your clutch is going to give before the trans will, but either way, powershifting is hard on everything and I'm not recommending it by any means.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

how long does it take to install the shifter on your own?