Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

t3650

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanPowertrain
Thanks for the complement. I've got way too much transmission stuff stored in my head and it is great to get some of it circulating so forum members can make good decisions.

I love to sell guys transmissions, but I also think a lot of companies are just on forums to sell instead of being a true part of the community and building a reputation for helping out.

Looks like I made the right choice!
You got it bro. Don't have time to pay much attention to the other model's forums, but we Macher's #1 intent is to help eachother out and you are seeming to fit right in. Whether it pays off financially or with new friendships, it's all good. I just need to fall into some loot so I can take a Tennessee vacation and get a bad **** tranny. I hear the tax refunds are better if I marry my girlfriend...hmmm. I know, that was mean as hell.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default Cost Benefit

Originally Posted by rygi23
I hear the tax refunds are better if I marry my girlfriend...hmmm. I know, that was mean as hell.
You better do a little cost/benefit analysis on that one!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:20 AM
R-code17815
1st Gear Member

3650 is crap! Mine was rebuilt 4 times, when the syncro's starting going out the last time I got smart and gave it away. I replaced mine with a built Cobra R t-56. Make sure if you go T-56 which you should, make sure you get the 2.97 first gear not the 2.66. I've had mine in for 2 years now and never had an issue.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

You better do a little cost/benefit analysis on that one!
Word up on that one. If I only had a nickle for every piece of advice on that subject I'd be buying the Viper Spec.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default BUILT vs. Rebuilt

Originally Posted by R-code17815
3650 is crap! Mine was rebuilt 4 times, when the syncro's starting going out the last time I got smart and gave it away. I replaced mine with a built Cobra R t-56. Make sure if you go T-56 which you should, make sure you get the 2.97 first gear not the 2.66. I've had mine in for 2 years now and never had an issue.
The t56 is a great choice and I am glad you are happy with it. However, you said something in your post that screams at me about the 3650. A rebuilt transmission is not a built transmission. If you keep getting the same crap put in your transmission as the factory put in you are bound to have the same problems. From the factory, the 3650 has some significant weaknesses, but if you have it BUILT then companies like ours can take out the crap, put in much more durable parts, tolerate the internals to a much higher standard and return a transmission that is miles ahead of the stocker for a lot less money than a t56.

I know it is too late, and as I say, I am glad you have a sweet 6-speed, but guys need to know that there is an alternative to cycling through transmission failure and rebuilding four or five times when they can just have it done right once.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:13 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

If you don't mind AP...PM how yall make the tranny stronger.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default PM 3650

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
If you don't mind AP...PM how yall make the tranny stronger.
Done.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
98infinity

This sold me and I dont even have my Mach 1 yet lol, This is the email I got from the AmericanPowertrain company.

Dear Greg,

Thanks for your interest in an upgraded American Powertrain transmission for your Mach 1. I have two flavors of 3650 that may work for you depending on how much power you plan to build:

3650Plus, a 500hp/430ft-lb rated transmission good for 6500rpm shifting that includes:

A cryo treated 10-spline input shaft.
Cryo treated forks
Mushroom peened hardened roll pins
Billet cluster support
Complete new bearing and synchro kit
All new seals and pads and small parts
A number of other killer tricks to make the transmission live

The 3650Plus is $1485

3650Extreme, a 700hp/650ft-lb rated transmission good for 7000rpm shifting that includes:

All the cool stuff in the 3650Plus
Dual base-welded 26-Spline input shaft
Solid billet keys
Upgraded synchros

The 3650Extreme is $1790

Each of our transmissions is assembled by a single craftsman using techniques proven at the track. These same builders are responsible for building the fastest 3650 on Earth. We do have a core charge of $350, however a lot of our customers avoid this charge by sending their own transmission in to be built into a Plus or Extreme.

Either way you go you will get a much more durable transmission that you can thrash on without having to worry about the weak OE transmission any more. Let me know if you have other questions or want one of these bad boys for your car.

Respects,
Gray G. Fredrick
Gray G. Fredrick
American Powertrain,
A division of The Driven Man, LLC
931.646.4836 ext 103
gray@thedrivenman.com
Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Done.
How much are your T-3650 builds? You can PM if you want to. Does this fix the synchro problem that they are known for?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 PM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default Fixin' the synchros

Originally Posted by jmac72187
How much are your T-3650 builds? You can PM if you want to. Does this fix the synchro problem that they are known for?
The 3650s vary in price depending on the power level you want to handle. We do the stock rebuild 3650S, which has matched forks and will erase the synchro and popping out of gear problems, but will not handle extra power over stock. Of course, any conversation about saving the life of a 3650 has to also include a better clutch actuator. I can't say this enough: messed up OE and cheesy aftermarket cable systems destroy more transmissions than any other issue.

The 3650Plus adds strength, up to 430ft-lbs and raises the effective shifting rpm. The 3650Extreme takes you to 650ft-lbs and 7000rpm shifting and is still fully synchronized. The Extreme does require a 26-spline clutch disc. We also offer the non-synchro dog ring engagement 3650Dragster box for the strip with more strength and almost unlimited rpm shifting. This is a custom box and is priced per the application. This one is not appropriate for the street.

Any shifter you already have will work fine with our transmissions. We now carry a Hurst remote shifter for the late model 3650s with stops and a more positive shift feel, as well as a totally different B&M remote shifter that adds isolation to cut down on the buzz inside the car. For earlier models we offer billet shifters with built-in stops and short throws and all the stuff necessary to get a good agressive shift.

If you have a specific application in mind, let me know and I will suggest the right transmission. PM me the year, RWHP or RWTQ, tire specs, street/strip or both and if you plan to add power later. This should be enough info to get you a good quote.

Last edited by AmericanPowertrain; 11-19-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added content

Quick Reply: t3650