Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach 1 Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Dave_Man

Default Mach 1 Engine Questions

I'm looking into buying a 03-04 Mach 1. I've read tons of different info. Pretty much every other site has different info. I'm looking for the correct info.

I've read the 4.6l 4v in the mach is the same block as the cobra. Also read it is aluminum block on a few sites. Others say aluminum heads/cast iron block. Some say it's got forged internals, then others say the mach 1 only has a forged crankshaft.

I also read the redline on a auto is 1000rpm lower then the manual. I'd be looking for an auto for drag racing. How do they hold up?

That's all I can thing of for now.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

You came to the right place...i have a sticky on the specs at the top of the threads that can help you out.

the mach1 have an Aluminum block and heads, the internals are the same internals as the Gt, the manuals have a forged steel crank, and the auto's do not. the Auto is somewhere around 800-1000 rpm lower, but with a tune it'll run jsut as strong. Stone has and auto and cutting some great times.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dave_Man
I'm looking into buying a 03-04 Mach 1. I've read tons of different info. Pretty much every other site has different info. I'm looking for the correct info.

I've read the 4.6l 4v in the mach is the same block as the cobra. Also read it is aluminum block on a few sites. Others say aluminum heads/cast iron block. Some say it's got forged internals, then others say the mach 1 only has a forged crankshaft.

I also read the redline on a auto is 1000rpm lower then the manual. I'd be looking for an auto for drag racing. How do they hold up?

That's all I can thing of for now.
Okay, here ya go. The Mach 1 4v motor uses the same aluminum block that is in the Explorer, Aviator, Marauder, and maybe a few other Ford/Mercury models. The aluminum heads are the same heads used on the 03/04 Cobras. The cams used in the Mach 1 motor are unique, in that they came from the Lincoln Navigator 5.4L, to help with the low end torque. The 5-speeds do have a forged steel crankshaft and redline at 6800rpms, while the automatics redline at 5800rpms and have a cast iron crankshaft. They all have cracked powdered rods and hypercraptic pistons. Can't tell you how the automatic holds up to drag racing.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Dave_Man

I wonder why they would put a forged crank only in the manuals? That's strange. Maybe that has something to do with the lower redline? Is that something I should worry about? I do plan on modding it, not sure how much yet but I'd like to run 11s.

How do the blocks hold up? Any issues there?

What do you guys use for tuning? I have HP Tuners that I use on my GMs, I know it doesn't work on these cars but is there something similar? I really like the program.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

lets see i think 11's are possible on the cast crank...not sure though

the blocks have held ~1khp to my knowledge the rods and pistons are your weak point

tuners we use diablo, SCT, and a few other but those two are the best
Old 01-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Dave_Man

No tuners that work with my laptop though?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

to be honest...i don't know, i would assume there is, but i don't know any off the top of my head
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

I've never heard of anyone having an issue because of the cast crank. The block can handle at least 800hp. Most people use either Diablosport Predator or SCT Xcal products for tuning, but there is some newer stuff out there that'll work, like the Sniper and ones that totally slip my mind right at the moment. The quickest way to 11's in a Mach 1, bolt on an NX 125-150 shot of nitrous, sticky tires, and go for it! I ran 11.7's @122 on a 125 shot with street tires.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 PM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

mach 1 has the same cams as the cobra. if you look up the part numbers they are the same
Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Dave_Man

Thanks for the help so far guys!

How does the manual hold up? And the clutch? What model is it?

Quick Reply: Mach 1 Engine Questions