Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach 1 Engine Questions

Old 01-13-2009, 02:34 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

If i had the option again i would buy a mach over my GT, and forge the motor...
Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Dave_Man

What makes you say that? Just wondering
Old 01-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dave_Man
What makes you say that? Just wondering
That's kind of a hard question, and I won't speak for anybody else, but me, the 4V in the mach's is just a much better platform to start from. It breathes better, and produces more in the way of power per mod than the 2V's in the GT's do. Dont' get me wrong, I've had the smack down laid on me by a built GT before, but you have to do a lot more to a GT to make it hold up under boost than you do to a mach.

The only two things I'd wish they'd done were to stay with the same TEKSID cast blocks they used in the 96-98 cobra's just because it's a stronger block, and I wish they'd gone with all forged internals in the mach's like they did with the cobra's. The 3650 tranny like other's have said is kinda hit and miss. I had horrible friggin luck with the one's I had so I upgraded to a TKO, but then I've seen guys with forged 3650's running 500+ rwhp too, so it can kinda go either way.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Subotai_95
That's kind of a hard question, and I won't speak for anybody else, but me, the 4V in the mach's is just a much better platform to start from. It breathes better, and produces more in the way of power per mod than the 2V's in the GT's do. Dont' get me wrong, I've had the smack down laid on me by a built GT before, but you have to do a lot more to a GT to make it hold up under boost than you do to a mach.

The only two things I'd wish they'd done were to stay with the same TEKSID cast blocks they used in the 96-98 cobra's just because it's a stronger block, and I wish they'd gone with all forged internals in the mach's like they did with the cobra's. The 3650 tranny like other's have said is kinda hit and miss. I had horrible friggin luck with the one's I had so I upgraded to a TKO, but then I've seen guys with forged 3650's running 500+ rwhp too, so it can kinda go either way.
I agree 100% on the teksid, but those blocks were cast by ferrari and very costly. BUT they hold as much power as the termie cast iron block INSANE. If i get a cobra rest assured it will be a 96-98 with c style heads (if the swap is possible) and/ or navigator exhaust cams with a little FI setup. BUT as SUB and everyone here knows i get interested in way to many different things at once.

Sub i got a surprise for all the guys around here whilst i am gone to a sandbox. old school meets newschool with boost.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Plain and simple. Mach 1 look nicer, to me. They breath better thus producing better numbers. And they are rarer than a GT. Im stuck with 2v and when i turbo my car i would rather have a 4v so i can produce better numbers. Even on my nitrous. I could do so much better times with a 4v than a 2v.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
Plain and simple. Mach 1 look nicer, to me. They breath better thus producing better numbers. And they are rarer than a GT. Im stuck with 2v and when i turbo my car i would rather have a 4v so i can produce better numbers. Even on my nitrous. I could do so much better times with a 4v than a 2v.
you thought about changeing head to the new AFR heads for the 2v?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Huh? Have i thought about going 4v by changing the heads? If thats the question then heck yea i have but its easier said than done. Its very costly.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Dave_Man

So does anyone know why the auto's rev limit is set around 1000rpm lower then the manual? I want an auto but I'm affraid it will be WAY slower then the manual and not as fun to drive.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I've read its because the automatic transmission can't safely spin that high in Fords eyes, so they lowered it. I could see them lowering it to cut back on warranty work.

This is my opinion though. I think they did it to keep the car somewhat under control and civil for the masses. They already spin second gear under the stock tuning. If it shifted into 2nd at 6800 rpms, it would be all over the road, which is fine with me, but maybe not with everyone. Also, it is way hard on the transmission hitting higher gears at high RPM. At any rate, all that can be altered with a handheld. You can always bump it up to whatever rev limit you want, etc. For your last statement, no the automatic isn't slower than the manual (not from what I've seen anyway), but I'll agree that the auto isn't nearly as much fun.

Fwiw, I ran a 13.34 at 105 mph with ZERO mods other than a catted X-pipe. My manual Mach didn't do that with just an X-pipe......although other manuals have. It really comes down to the pilot, not the car. The auto and manuals are side by side with equal drivers for the most part.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Dave_Man

Are there lots of people who run to 6800-7000rpm without problems with the auto?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mach 1 Engine Questions