Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Left the track upset

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM
BCP
2nd Gear Member

Some good advice above.....and remember, its just going to take some seat time to get the ET where it should be. Dont let it get ya down!

Let me know the next time you head to the track, i'll try to make it down there and give you a hand.

Last edited by BCP; 05-17-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 PM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

dont be down dude the first time i took the ET streets to the track my times were about the same as before the tires and i wasnt happy either but i went back and watched the vids and realized i was bogging like none other out of the hole. i have to launch at 5500 rpm in order not to bog and my mods are about the same as yours, 4.10s and all. trust me launch it higher and you will be alot happier. my best 60' is still only a 1.84 but my times dropped from a 8.9 to a 8.29 after just some practice. dont let it get you down just keep at it. i have had tons of launches at over 5k and the only thing i have had to replace was the clutch but that was due to the fact that it wasnt set up right and wasnt gripping all the way. i did upgrade to hardened 28 axles before the stock ones gave out but i know ppl launching the same on the stock ones as well.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:59 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BCP
Some good advice above.....and remember, its just going to take some seat time to get the ET where it should be. Dont let it get ya down!

Let me know the next time you head to the track, i'll try to make it down there and give you a hand.
LOL...damn, look who's on here! Yeah, I think seat time will pay off and the 12.999 will pop outta nowhere. Thanks bro. Appreciated your help last friday and looking forward to hanging @ the track again.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03MachMe
dont be down dude the first time i took the ET streets to the track my times were about the same as before the tires and i wasnt happy either but i went back and watched the vids and realized i was bogging like none other out of the hole. i have to launch at 5500 rpm in order not to bog and my mods are about the same as yours, 4.10s and all. trust me launch it higher and you will be alot happier. my best 60' is still only a 1.84 but my times dropped from a 8.9 to a 8.29 after just some practice. dont let it get you down just keep at it. i have had tons of launches at over 5k and the only thing i have had to replace was the clutch but that was due to the fact that it wasnt set up right and wasnt gripping all the way. i did upgrade to hardened 28 axles before the stock ones gave out but i know ppl launching the same on the stock ones as well.
Thx, man. Kind words and good advice is always appreciated here. At 5500 do ya dump it or slip it?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
Thx, man. Kind words and good advice is always appreciated here. At 5500 do ya dump it or slip it?
dump. the way my clutch is set up its sooooo short there is almost no way to slip it at the track. i just hold the rpms at about 5500 then right before i dump it i floor the gas so the rpms are on the way up when the clutch grabs and the car jumps forward so hard i have even had my garage door opener come off my visor and hit me in the helmet. now in order to do this you have to have some damn sticky tires that is for sure. i have not been able to break the tires loose on the launch with my MT ET streets after i heated them up i love these tires. i will be going to the track again this sat so we will see if i can improve that 1.8 60' here is a vid of that launch where the garage door opener comes off you can hear it if you listen for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN_8M...e=channel_page
Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Redline is 6800 but, according to dynos, peak hp is @ 6500 w/ 3.55s and around 6100 w/ 4.10s. I can seriously feel the car pull slower and see the tach needle slow way down @ 6K. As far as letting the clutch out...feathering it more netted me really good bonestock 60' and 1/4 mi. times. This being my 1st time w/ DRs and 4.10s, I didn't think I'd need to do that so I pretty much dumped it but guess I was wrong. It's evidently a learning experience with gears and tires so next time I'll go back to rolling the clutch and shifting a lil higher.
Gears dont change anything about what RPM you make what HP, only the speed you achieve in each gear, you should rev it to redline so your higher in the RPM band (more hp-closer to peak hp) in the next gear

Last edited by Andy13186; 05-18-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Andy13186
Gears dont change anything about what RPM you make what HP, only the speed you achieve in each gear, you should rev it to redline so your higher in the RPM band (more hp-closer to peak hp) in the next gear
eh, well yes and no at the same time.
if you shift at your peak HP you won't slow down, you shift past the peak and your now beginning to slow down.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

1st time to track w/ DRs. Ran 13.20 stock over a year ago and now w/ 4.10s and DRs only ran 13.25...so depressed. After bogging while launching 1st 3 runs @ 3k, launched @ 4.5K and had 60' of 1.94, 1.90 and 1.89 w/ 17 psi but seemed like top end suffered w/ gears as my avg. mph was 101...was 105/106 w/ stock gear. Shifting @ 6K b/c it seems the pulling stops earlier w/ gears but maybe I should wind it out more. Anyone w/ tips for this broken hearted man? Thx.
Good advise from everyone. First, work on the launching. Once you have a good feel for it and know rpm it wants, move on to the shift points.

Now for the above bold. Was a year ago the last time at the track?? Weather conditions can big diff. in your times. Air temp, humidity and DA can swing e.t.s 2-4 tenths.

What is the tire height?

Casey
Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
eh, well yes and no at the same time.
if you shift at your peak HP you won't slow down, you shift past the peak and your now beginning to slow down.
Word. Getting great info on here but I can't get myself to wind my motor to 6800 when I've seen dynos showing peak hp @ around 6500 w/ 3.55s and around 6100 w/ 4.10s and my tach needle is creeping once past 6k. I'll just continue to play with it.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03MachMe
dump. the way my clutch is set up its sooooo short there is almost no way to slip it at the track. i just hold the rpms at about 5500 then right before i dump it i floor the gas so the rpms are on the way up when the clutch grabs and the car jumps forward so hard i have even had my garage door opener come off my visor and hit me in the helmet. now in order to do this you have to have some damn sticky tires that is for sure. i have not been able to break the tires loose on the launch with my MT ET streets after i heated them up i love these tires. i will be going to the track again this sat so we will see if i can improve that 1.8 60' here is a vid of that launch where the garage door opener comes off you can hear it if you listen for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN_8M...e=channel_page
Don't know how y'all do the 1/8 mi. stuff...it goes so damn quick! Thx again. I can see a clutch in my future.

Quick Reply: Left the track upset