Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

2nd gear funkiness

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:11 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by I G Joe
its either your clutch engagment/disengagment or its your transmission Synchros. remember guys the synchros in the T3650 go out with enough beating, ive already noticed mine starting to give way with the last group of lightning fast shifts ive done. thats with the stock shifter. but a new quadrant n cable are in my list of mods.
Agreed, syncros are a beeotch with our tranny. I've already had 3rd and 4th rebuilt and the symptoms are in all of the gears which leads me to believe it's the quadrant/adjuster. Hope it is, the wifey's already cut my Mach budget way down after the 1st tranny rebuild.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:24 PM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

A quadrant and firewall adjuster will do wonders. My first tranny went up in smoke with the 2nd gear lockup. Got it rebuilt and still had problems. Had another tranny put in. It went about 2k miles before the problem re-surfaced. Had that one rebuilt, and on the test drive from the dealership (with the tech in the car), it locked out again. Swapped out the stock quadrant for a Fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster, and all has been well since.

Thankfully all my tranny problems were under warranty...
Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDraper
A quadrant and firewall adjuster will do wonders. My first tranny went up in smoke with the 2nd gear lockup. Got it rebuilt and still had problems. Had another tranny put in. It went about 2k miles before the problem re-surfaced. Had that one rebuilt, and on the test drive from the dealership (with the tech in the car), it locked out again. Swapped out the stock quadrant for a Fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster, and all has been well since.

Thankfully all my tranny problems were under warranty...
Warranty, shmarranty! My pocket got much lighter when my 3rd and 4th went. Good info. Was yours locking out under normal driving also? Mine is feeling funky in all the gears, but is only locking out 2nd under fast shifting. Thx.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

yeah the stock quadrant sucks ****!!! i still have it =( when i get my raise though the mach is getting some much needed upgrades =D
Old 10-17-2009, 07:27 AM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
Warranty, shmarranty! My pocket got much lighter when my 3rd and 4th went. Good info. Was yours locking out under normal driving also? Mine is feeling funky in all the gears, but is only locking out 2nd under fast shifting. Thx.

Mine was funky from day one going into reverse. That should have been a clue to me. What apparently was killing my tranny was the stock quadrant not adjusting properly (yes, I know how do do the adjustment) and the clutch never fully releasing, so I was effectively powershifting every time I shifted...even into first from neutral. My tranny kept burning out the blocking rings. First problem was a high rpm lockout to 3rd, then it started doing it to 2nd and eventually it was grinding trying to go into 1st at a stoplight. I had to push in the clutch, engage 2nd, and then drop to 1st to get it to go into 1st. When the blocking rings went, it took out the synchro's for 1st gear. The inside of the tranny looked like someone gold plated it from all the brass filings from the blocking rings. Tranny was rebuilt and was good for a short while, then the 3rd gear lockout came back. The transmission was then replaced. The new transmission was also fine for a while, and then it started doing the same thing. The dealership then re-built the 2nd transmission, and as I said above, it did the lockout on the test drive. The tech's (and Ford's warranty tech's) kept telling me 'you must be powershifting the car', which I had never done. I played around with the stock quadrant and was manually setting the ratchet position (crawling under the dash and moving the ratchet by hand), and noticed that when I pulled back on the clutch pedal to set it "automatically", it always went to a much lower pedal height. I put the car on jackstands, fired it up and put it in gear. Before I even let the clutch out, the rear wheels were starting to turn slightly, so I knew I had drag between the clutch and pressure plate or flywheel. I manually adjusted the quadrant and the problem went away. I then pulled up on the clutch pedal to let it automatically adjust, and the problem returned. I then went to a Fiore setup, and all has been good since.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:49 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Well, darn. It sounds like an adjuster/quadrant should be the 1st thing done to our cars. Atleast as a precautionary measure. It probably would've saved me $1100. Getting them as soon as my pimping bidness picks up. Thx Mr. Draper for the helpful info.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
Well, darn. It sounds like an adjuster/quadrant should be the 1st thing done to our cars. Atleast as a precautionary measure. It probably would've saved me $1100. Getting them as soon as my pimping bidness picks up. Thx Mr. Draper for the helpful info.
i regret not doing it first to my car, i should have learned from my GT.