Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Had some work done today

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Well look at it this way, in the end you walked out with the car sounding better, you could've paid all that money and still sound like a nest of pissed off bees. You can always buy the LM1s or LM2s mufflers separate if you wanted to. Cant wait to see track times.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Very true, Dark. Honestly, it would've costed me the same amount had I bought a new flowmaster cat-back. Its exactly the same thing considering its all 2.5" and stainless, so thats a plus. She ought to run pretty strong. I'm going to possibly hit up the track tomorrow. These new tires are grabbing pretty good for street tires (BFG KDWs, tire rack has them on sale for $88 if any of you guys are in need of new rubber), so it may run a 13.0-13.3 if I nail it just right. I'll let ya'll know the results if I head down there.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

I would definately contanct the BBB if they sold you fake SLP mufflers and then overcharged out the *** for the flows.

Not calling you stupid, but you really didnt think to ask the price they were going to charge you for the new mufflers? I understand you may "expect" them to be priced correctly, but that is obviously how people get ripped off.

Why would you go with slp in the first place if you didnt want a sound close to a race car in the first place?
Old 11-22-2009, 02:29 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam03GT
I would definately contanct the BBB if they sold you fake SLP mufflers and then overcharged out the *** for the flows.

Not calling you stupid, but you really didnt think to ask the price they were going to charge you for the new mufflers? I understand you may "expect" them to be priced correctly, but that is obviously how people get ripped off.

Why would you go with slp in the first place if you didnt want a sound close to a race car in the first place?
Good Lord son, I'm not sure where to start. Who said Meineke sold me SLPs? Who said I ordered SLPs? When I bought the car a few weeks ago, it already had some exhaust work done to it. When I was checking the car out BEFORE I even bought it, all I saw was SLP written across the exhaust tips, and from what I could see from looking under the car, it had two straight thru mufflers. When I fired the car up, it wasn't loud enough to be SLP LMI exhaust, so I immediately assumed they were LMIIs. Alright, this past Thursday my ORX gets here, so I go to Fastlane to have it put on. Once it is installed, the tech and myself go for a test drive. I immediately know that they are not LMIIs since they were way too loud. We put it back on the lift, and I tap on one of the mufflers with a hammer to verify that they are not packed. Of course they are not. OK, I then verify that I have some sort of custom catback. Not a problem though, considering it is all stainless 2.5" and very well made by whoever. Still, imo it sounds like ****, sooo at this point I drive directly to the muffler shop (Meineke). Of course I asked him how much it would be, and he told me probably $159 per muffler. I knew it was high, I know how much flows cost. Trust me, I've been doing this for awhile. There's a catch here though. The catch is that here in Raleigh its a SOB to find a reputable shop to touch an off road exhaust. In fact, the first two shops flat out told me hell no, they ain't touching it, so that left me with one guy being nice enough to refer me to a shop that would do it.... which resulted in myself having to fork out some extra cash. That was the unspoken deal. Trust me, I did the math and the way I saw it was I could let these fukrs weld a couple flows in my already existing 2.5" exhaust for $450 without me lifting a finger, oorrrr I could order a flowmaster cat-back from American Muscle for $450 and crawl around in the parking lot on my 31 year old *** and install the exact same set-up myself. So, imo I did what best benefited MY situation. Sure, I could've driven two hours back to my po-dunk hometown and had some mufflers welded in for $100, but it seriously would've cost me twice as much to take more time off work to drive down there and haggle with those cats. In other words, sometimes its cheaper and less stressful to get off a few bucks rather than run all over the state chasing a steal. Could I have gone to autozone and gotten some flows for $90, probably. Could I have gotten someone to weld them into my illegal exhaust in Raleigh NC, I have no idea, maybe. Bottom line is this, I've got a pypes ORX and a flowmaster catback ordered and on my Mach for $750. Had I bought the ORX and cat-back thru a vender, guess what, same damn price. In the end, its all gonna end up costing the same.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Good Lord son, I'm not sure where to start. Who said Meineke sold me SLPs? Who said I ordered SLPs? When I bought the car a few weeks ago, it already had some exhaust work done to it. When I was checking the car out BEFORE I even bought it, all I saw was SLP written across the exhaust tips, and from what I could see from looking under the car, it had two straight thru mufflers. When I fired the car up, it wasn't loud enough to be SLP LMI exhaust, so I immediately assumed they were LMIIs. Alright, this past Thursday my ORX gets here, so I go to Fastlane to have it put on. Once it is installed, the tech and myself go for a test drive. I immediately know that they are not LMIIs since they were way too loud. We put it back on the lift, and I tap on one of the mufflers with a hammer to verify that they are not packed. Of course they are not. OK, I then verify that I have some sort of custom catback. Not a problem though, considering it is all stainless 2.5" and very well made by whoever. Still, imo it sounds like ****, sooo at this point I drive directly to the muffler shop (Meineke). Of course I asked him how much it would be, and he told me probably $159 per muffler. I knew it was high, I know how much flows cost. Trust me, I've been doing this for awhile. There's a catch here though. The catch is that here in Raleigh its a SOB to find a reputable shop to touch an off road exhaust. In fact, the first two shops flat out told me hell no, they ain't touching it, so that left me with one guy being nice enough to refer me to a shop that would do it.... which resulted in myself having to fork out some extra cash. That was the unspoken deal. Trust me, I did the math and the way I saw it was I could let these fukrs weld a couple flows in my already existing 2.5" exhaust for $450 without me lifting a finger, oorrrr I could order a flowmaster cat-back from American Muscle for $450 and crawl around in the parking lot on my 31 year old *** and install the exact same set-up myself. So, imo I did what best benefited MY situation. Sure, I could've driven two hours back to my po-dunk hometown and had some mufflers welded in for $100, but it seriously would've cost me twice as much to take more time off work to drive down there and haggle with those cats. In other words, sometimes its cheaper and less stressful to get off a few bucks rather than run all over the state chasing a steal. Could I have gone to autozone and gotten some flows for $90, probably. Could I have gotten someone to weld them into my illegal exhaust in Raleigh NC, I have no idea, maybe. Bottom line is this, I've got a pypes ORX and a flowmaster catback ordered and on my Mach for $750. Had I bought the ORX and cat-back thru a vender, guess what, same damn price. In the end, its all gonna end up costing the same.
Any cliff notes for this wall of text?
Old 11-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Sooooo then what was the point of this thread rofl?

You could have ordered two flowmaster mufflers for $80 or whatever they go for and had them weld them up. I dont understand what you are complaining about.

Not trying to be an ***, just trying to understand what you want out of this thread. I hope talking down to someone on the internet (Good lord son) makes you feel all tingly.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

You asked me a question, and you didn't leave any attitude to spare. I answered your question in the same tone. I don't want anything out of this thread. I was just telling my Mach 1 brethern about my experience the other day. What's the problem?
Old 11-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Well look at it this way, in the end you walked out with the car sounding better, you could've paid all that money and still sound like a nest of pissed off bees. You can always buy the LM1s or LM2s mufflers separate if you wanted to. Cant wait to see track times.

Got some track times today. My best was a 13.1 at 107.91 MPH on a 2.07 60'. The 1/8th mile ET for that run was 8.58 at 84.97 MPH. All runs were below a 13.3 with at least a 107 trap, with one 108 mph trap. I was pretty happy with it, but the stock shifter has got to go. It took me 6 days to go from gear to gear, lol.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam03GT
Sooooo then what was the point of this thread rofl?

Not trying to be an ***,
He doesn't need to have a point, general conversations regarding our cars is welcome.

Some don't have to try. Just leave it alone.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Got some track times today. My best was a 13.1 at 107.91 MPH on a 2.07 60'. The 1/8th mile ET for that run was 8.58 at 84.97 MPH. All runs were below a 13.3 with at least a 107 trap, with one 108 mph trap. I was pretty happy with it, but the stock shifter has got to go. It took me 6 days to go from gear to gear, lol.
Helluva job, Stoner. Must feel sweet to hit 108. I hit 107 w/ 3.55s and only 106.5 w/ 4.10s so far. Get that short time down and I see a 12 coming at ya very soon. If ya don't mind me asking, I see you're at 308/317...is that corrected or not? And what's your mods? Stock gear? Thx man, and again sweet #s. So what's your point with this thread? LOL. You know I'm kidding bro.

Quick Reply: Had some work done today