Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

oh... my... god....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 PM
abnstang
1st Gear Member

Default oh... my... god....

So on my way to South Carolina an Acura RSX type-S was acting like a jackass and since i turned down one before i got my first mustang i had to know.. once we got next to each other i droped it in to third and took off on him enough to make sure he knew my mach wasnt going to play nice. then as i pushed in the clutch to start to slow back down the rpms fell (as i knew they would) but then the steering tightend up and the brakes went dead.... THE RPMS FELL ALL THE WAY TO ZERO!!!! i had to restart the car mid roll so i could steer or brake effectivley. any idea what was going on? i tried to do a couple tests to see what happend and if i could make it happen again. if i push the car hard (im not talking redline just like 4500) and the push the clutch. it just dies....the only thing ive changed it the exhaust.. any ideas??
Old 12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

when it dies, is throttle open or closed? could be IAC if the throttle is closed. though usually when i hear this kind of problem, its when coming to a full stop, not while still cruising?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

If you had the clutch pushed in for a moment before it died, It's actually not uncommon. Though it's more common w/ an aftermarket intake w/o the screen. Noone knows exactly what the situation is, but IMO it's the high volume of air our intakes bring in that's a lil much for the MAF and ECU to adjust to. If she died instantaneously, that's a different story, but I don't think that's the case. If it happens again, just put the car into 5th and release the clutch slowly and she'll fire back up. I had it happen to me many times, but one time was on a backroad while going around a turn w/ a car coming the other way. Darn near shyted myself.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
cwf340
1st Gear Member

the way I understand it is, the air coming in from the shaker creates turbulance around the MAF and can cause it to die. a screen between the air filter and MAF sensor helps this. also if you have a tuner try bumping the RPM up about 50rpm. this seemed to help mine from dieing. but mine only does it coming to a stop.