Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Guys with superchargers, GTFIH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 PM
mikedeuce6
1st Gear Member

How many of you guys are running driveshaft loops too?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like your saying that you aren't going to drive it hard. If your spirited driving is shifting at 4000rpm instead of 2000rpm, perhaps you should reconsider purchasing a blower. For centrifical supercharger, the power isn't even really present until higher in the rpm band, although the roots blowers have more low end. I don't mean that rude, but rather seriously. I mean, in my opinion putting a blower on the car is pointless if you don't ever plan on seriously using it and then there's the other side of the coin where once you put the blower on, you'll find yourself unable to keep the foot out of the peddle.

My opinion is this, if you're serious about forced induction then you'll want to do motor first. You might have to sit with a bit less power for a while, but considering you never really get on it, that wouldn't be an issue. Let me tell a quick story: I had owned this car, 2001 Cobra with a Vortech for less than a year...one trip down the track and boom, 454rwhp turned into knock knock knock and blown piston. The previous owner said he never got into it, and I had gotten into a few times, but it only took once to ruin it all when it went lean for just a short moment and the hyperpuectic pistons said "oh snap".

Now, I'm having to rebuild (and doing it the right way with forged internals). Here's the thing though, if you rebuild first, you have the option of selling off parts you take out to help cover some costs...and there's always somebody looking for a shortblock on the internet for a GT Mustang. You might be best off just buying a shortblock from an 03-04 Cobra and swapping them out, then selling your existing one for some cash. You could probably get a couple grand out of it depending on mileage and shape.

Then when it's time to go supercharger or turbo it's as easy as installing and driving and going crazy. Unless the accessory mods to forced induction are included in the kit, have it prepped and ready to go for boost before actually adding the boost. It saves money to swap and sell instead of swap and junk.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
mikedeuce6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dastangman
...and there's always somebody looking for a shortblock on the internet for a GT Mustang. You might be best off just buying a shortblock from an 03-04 Cobra and swapping them out....
You are aware that a Mach 1 doesnt have a GT iron block right? It has an aluminum block and a manual tranny Mach even has a forged crank.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

if your hyper pistons went boom, it was a tuning issue, they are good to ~500whp....you were detonating before hand...did you have a wideband? your rod's will go before the hyper pistons will.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:08 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

It sounds like your saying that you aren't going to drive it hard. If your spirited driving is shifting at 4000rpm instead of 2000rpm, perhaps you should reconsider purchasing a blower. For centrifical supercharger, the power isn't even really present until higher in the rpm band, although the roots blowers have more low end. I don't mean that rude, but rather seriously. I mean, in my opinion putting a blower on the car is pointless if you don't ever plan on seriously using it and then there's the other side of the coin where once you put the blower on, you'll find yourself unable to keep the foot out of the peddle.

My opinion is this, if you're serious about forced induction then you'll want to do motor first. You might have to sit with a bit less power for a while, but considering you never really get on it, that wouldn't be an issue. Let me tell a quick story: I had owned this car, 2001 Cobra with a Vortech for less than a year...one trip down the track and boom, 454rwhp turned into knock knock knock and blown piston. The previous owner said he never got into it, and I had gotten into a few times, but it only took once to ruin it all when it went lean for just a short moment and the hyperpuectic pistons said "oh snap".

Now, I'm having to rebuild (and doing it the right way with forged internals). Here's the thing though, if you rebuild first, you have the option of selling off parts you take out to help cover some costs...and there's always somebody looking for a shortblock on the internet for a GT Mustang. You might be best off just buying a shortblock from an 03-04 Cobra and swapping them out, then selling your existing one for some cash. You could probably get a couple grand out of it depending on mileage and shape.

Then when it's time to go supercharger or turbo it's as easy as installing and driving and going crazy. Unless the accessory mods to forced induction are included in the kit, have it prepped and ready to go for boost before actually adding the boost. It saves money to swap and sell instead of swap and junk.
Sounds like the guy lied to you about the cars condition and you fell for it.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

how many miles? sounds like something was deff. wrong or tune was crap

more then a handfull of people on SVTP are running 450-475rwhp some for 3+ years and tons of track passes
Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
if your hyper pistons went boom, it was a tuning issue, they are good to ~500whp....you were detonating before hand...did you have a wideband? your rod's will go before the hyper pistons will.
This.

The rods will usually break first... unless there are other issues.

My younger cousin's 98 SVT took a dump about 2 years ago at the track, but it was dynoing extremely low before it went, like 310 rwhp at 8 psi, lol. The tuner told him that he was hurting (losing compression somewhere). That crazy SOB still took it to the track... ended up spinning every rod bearing, scarring the crank beyond repair, and taking out some valves.

Needless to say, but as long as the A/F, tuning, etc is right, and the engine isn't half blown to begin with, it should hold for awhile at 400-450 rwhp on stock internals, up until the point that the rods give, maybe a head gasket..... usually, lol.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikedeuce6
You are aware that a Mach 1 doesnt have a GT iron block right? It has an aluminum block and a manual tranny Mach even has a forged crank.
Yeah, I realize that, I guess I wasn't completely thinking that through, but either way, there's still usually someone out there looking for a shortblock for their cars.

As for everyone else, thank you for the replies, that sorta opens my mind a bit., but I'll explain where I'm coming from/ I had heard nothing but bad things about these pistons and tons of guys were telling me that they were junk for forced induction cars and wouldn't hold up to any sort of detonation really. That's not what the local tuner said as he thought my tune was just fine and that the car would hold up and according to his wideband and the dyno time (roughly 50 pulls I've had total since owning the car there) everything was good to go for a very long time.

I do not have wideband in the car, but it does need one I agree. The car has 45,000 miles on it, 15,000 I believe of which were supercharged if I'm not mistaken from what the previous owner said. The previous owner was a Ford Master Tech and had traded the car to the dealership (was deals in exotics and specialty vehicles) for a Corvette which he decided to put turbos on. This is what the dealership had said, and then I had called the guy and verified this. So, after talking to the guy, I figured he had nothing to lose by telling the truth at that point and everything he said lined up with what the dealership had said, so it must be fairly accurate. It has the Vortech S-Trim V2 with the Vortech Air/Water Aftercooler, 3.25" pulley @ 10psi, GReddy BOV, 90mm Lightning Meter, 42lb injectors, dual Bosche 235lph fuel pumps, FRP Short Headers, Magnaflow X-Pipe Exhaust, etc...

I had owned the car about a year without any hiccups except for the GMS 60,000volt COPs going out, which were replaced with stock coils. Anyways, then one night, I hear a popping sound, smokes billowing from the exhaust, and I can hear a faint tick in the lower end. So, then we're trying to think how this could have happened and we've really only came up with a couple of things: A.) At some point the air filter fell off, not sure how it came off or when, but something could have caused a problem with the mass air meter in the process of doing so. B.) If the fuel tank was low, and I believe it was, it could be possible the pumps were having trouble actually getting any fuel during hard acceleration. C.) There's some other mechanical issue with the fuel system, but that's the second most important issue once the cars rebuilt is stopping whatever happened from happening again.

I really have no idea, and I had owned the car for about a year without problems and had gotten into the gas several times before...I wasn't destructive to the car at all, but the interstates saw some WOT driving at times.

I guess here's where I stand...I've talked to numerous guys saying these hyper-pistons suck and NEED to be swapped out if you plan over 10psi of boost (which is what I was running) and they've also said that lots of people have good luck with them and that that is all it is though, is luck, because it's just a matter of time. Now, I come here and I'm told that the engines should handle 460rwhp, so I honestly don't know what to believe.

Perhaps I'm wrong to believe this, but I guess after I heard those guys say the hyper pistons suck and need to be swapped out for deep dish, forged pistons for any serious supercharging it got me thinking of why Ford did what they did with the 03-04s. I suppose I started to think, well there's a reason Ford put forged internals into their supercharged Cobra, along with dual fuel pumps, and that was only going to cost more money for the company. Wouldn't they have used a single pump and the same internals (perhaps dished out) if it would be a cheaper method and equally as strong? I guess perhaps, again, I'm wrong for thinking that way, but that was my justification on the matter...I just figured Ford didn't design the vehicle to handle way more power then it needed just because they felt like it, because that would cost unnecessary sums of money to the company, so there was reasoning behind the reliable to putting in those things. The same way Ford put in a manual crank into Mach 1s because of the higher stresses they would see over the automatics and would save them in the long run from warranty and reliability issues. Just my thoughts on the matter, but I'm interested in everyones thoughts as I guess new light has been shown into the matter.

It's about half and half in terms of people I've talked to, half say the pistons are the prime problem (along with the rods) because the crank is of course forged, and the other half say the engine is good to use for fairly high horsepower applications.

I guess at this point, I'm putting forged internals in, so it doesn't really matter for me anymore and I'm going to take things to the next notch, perhaps 600rwhp or so...but anyways, sorry this was so long.

Last edited by dastangman; 01-15-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

If you're serious about wanting to get a supercharger let me know. I'm selling my setup and going a different route. Something that hasnt been done on a mach 1 before.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:07 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Furinox
If you're serious about wanting to get a supercharger let me know. I'm selling my setup and going a different route. Something that hasnt been done on a mach 1 before.
Big block chevy???????? Im just saying....