Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Short to ground

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Butter

Default Short to ground

Okay guys, I could really use some ideas. Here's what's happened. My son (it's his car) drove the car home from school, it was raining like a monsoon. Later when he get's in to go to work, it won't do anything.

When I started trying to isolate the short I find all power from the battery dumping to ground. I unhooked the battery, and set a VOMbetween the hot side of the starter solenoid on the fender well and ground ... complete continuity. Removed the harness from the fuse box and tried the same ... no longer dumping to ground, so I don't believe it's in the engine compartment. Started isolating the circuit by removing individual fuses while watching the meter. When both the courtesy light and cigarette lighter fuse were removed, circuit to groud broken ... however I inadvertently pushed the brake pedal, and it shorts again. Unhooked the rear light harness ... circuit broken. (bear in mind as I find these I'm leaving the prior found issues unhooked to isolate the short). Next tried to see what happened if I turned on the headlight switch. It shorted to ground so I unhooked it. Then turned the ignition on, shorts to ground. I'm getting to be at a loss ... especially since it appears the actual ignition switch is somewhere in the column and driven by a rod that goes to the keyed switch.

Is there a known fault with these cars ... kind of like ponies being prone to wiring problems in the lighting circuit? I'm guessing, but it seems its located in the circuits that are hot all the time whether the key is on or not. Since it was raining when it happened I checked for pooled water in body panels, but there is none. Again.... HELP!!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 PM
ddupont

Default RE: Short to ground

yea ive been having the same problem with my 76... i have a feeling that my short is in the column. sometimes the car will start... and others i get nothing. as far as taking it apart... i havent ventured that far yet but i know the wireing in mine is an absolute mess.... i know this doesnt help but at least you know your not alone in this problem... has anyone else had problems with the ignition switch???
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
rooster1021

Default RE: Short to ground

don't know what to tell you, as this doesnot sound like a "common problem". I guess just keep chasing circuits......good luck, and sorry I couldn't be of more help
[align=left] [/align]