Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Problems with acceleration any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:43 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your trouble man. I know a couple of dealers in my area that are absolutely worthless for getting a problem with your car taken care of.......so I feel your pain on this one. Those "tech" guys know damn well that there's plenty that can be wrong with a car without it throwing codes. They're being lazy IMO. I'd get a manager or even the dealer owner involved if possible. Those are the guy's that don't want bad press. But yea, have the fuel filter replaced and go from there. It's not impossible that you got some kind of trash in it already even though the car is fairly new. Or the filter itself may have a defect..........or may have gotten damaged somehow. (Just running through all the possibilities here)
Old 08-17-2009, 04:04 PM
haloinreverse

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Sorry to hear about your trouble man. I know a couple of dealers in my area that are absolutely worthless for getting a problem with your car taken care of.......so I feel your pain on this one. Those "tech" guys know damn well that there's plenty that can be wrong with a car without it throwing codes. They're being lazy IMO. I'd get a manager or even the dealer owner involved if possible. Those are the guy's that don't want bad press. But yea, have the fuel filter replaced and go from there. It's not impossible that you got some kind of trash in it already even though the car is fairly new. Or the filter itself may have a defect..........or may have gotten damaged somehow. (Just running through all the possibilities here)
Yeah I'm going to have the fuel filter replaced asap and take it from there. I agree I need to weed out all of the possibilities according to the symptoms.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 AM
inyadreems
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by haloinreverse
I have a 2008 mustang v6 coupe (manual). Bought it brand new off the lot, it was a left over. I Only 6000 miles on it now. At 5000 miles I brought it for the first oil change, and decided to go full synthetic.

The Car now does not drive right. When I first bought it, from a complete stop in first gear it would just take off like a bat out of hell.

Now its very sluggish up until about 3000 rpms. Like its hesitating up until then, and then finally picks up, and my foot is all the way down on the gas.

I brought it into the dealership and they don't see anything wrong with it, nor do any codes show up on the computer. They can't tell the difference because they have nothing to compare it to, and no longer have any 08 or 09 v6's left. I can obviously tell the difference because I've been driving it, its like night and day.

Any advice on what this could possibly be would be greatly appreciated. I'm extremely frustrated now.
I would try to bring it to a Mustang Performance Shop in NJ or a Ford Dealer that has a performance shop and knows Mustangs. Downs Ford and Sansone Ford both have performance shops. Here is a list of some NJ shops from NJstangers.com:

http://www.njstangers.com/vendors-sponsors-f90/

When they did the oil change did they use the correct oil weight? Your fuel filter should not be clogged at that mileage unless you got some bad gas. Could be a tranny issue, clutch slippin in first? Did they re-flash the CPU when you brought it to the dealer?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 AM
haloinreverse

Originally Posted by inyadreems
I would try to bring it to a Mustang Performance Shop in NJ or a Ford Dealer that has a performance shop and knows Mustangs. Downs Ford and Sansone Ford both have performance shops. Here is a list of some NJ shops from NJstangers.com:

http://www.njstangers.com/vendors-sponsors-f90/

When they did the oil change did they use the correct oil weight? Your fuel filter should not be clogged at that mileage unless you got some bad gas. Could be a tranny issue, clutch slippin in first? Did they re-flash the CPU when you brought it to the dealer?
Good idea about a ford dealership with a performance shop. I'm going to do that.

The guy definitely used the right oil weight I watched him change the oil. Stood by the whole time chatting with him. I brought it down to the dealership I purchased the car from they changed the oil out again. The performance actually seems to be getting better. I think I may have actually gotten some bad oil. That's the only thing in the equation that changed from the get go. The moment I drove it out of the place that originally changed my oil it was a slug. So I have a feeling that's what it was. I'm going to bring it down to a dealership with a performance shop anyways, that's a good idea. I'll have them check it out just to be on the safe side. I want to get what I can out of the warranty before I install a dual exhaust system. Make sure everything is back to normal and working correctly before I void my warranty by installing a dual exhaust system. I'll keep up to date on how that goes.

Last edited by haloinreverse; 08-18-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
haloinreverse

Ok so I reset the adaptive learning. No change after about a week and a half. I did meet a very experienced mechanic at a bar on Saturday night and told him my situation. He immeditely said oh it's the synthetic oil. It's a thicker oil and slows all the parts down. He said go back to the dual blend (what the car came with) and you'll see your performance come right back. He was pretty confident about it. He said the synthetic is a give and take, you'll get more milage out of it but you'll lose performance, it's just a higher viscosity. So I'm going to try that this and I'll let you know how that goes. He did say it may take some time for the synthetic to completely work it's way out. Anyways. Yeah I'll let you know what's up. I'm thinking he's right because that was the only variable that changed in the car. The minute I pulled it out of the place that changed the oil I noticed it immediately. Alright talk to you later.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
haloinreverse

haloinreverse
Vehicle: 2008, coupe, 4.0

One more thing. I just spoke to a friend tonight and told about my issue. He was surprised because he just got his vehicle switched over to full synthetic and he noticed a performance drop in his acceleration but couldn't figure out what it was. I don't think it's coincidence. I think this guy I spoke to at the bar was right. I'll switch back to dual blend this week and let you guys know what happens, so of any one else has this issue you know what to tell them.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

I've heard that any leftover oil thats not synthetic that is in the engine won't mix with the dual-blend or conventional oil and that this can cause problems when switching to synthetic. Anybody else heard this?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

If the change happened right after the oil change then you should try getting another. That would help rule out the oil being the problem. If this issues didn't crop up for 1000 miles than something else is more likely to blame.
Is the motor sluglish to gain RPM to 3k? or just not making much power? Does the motor bog down in neutral as well? If its slow to gain RPM but runs normal that, to me, would seem to be something farther back in the power train. Things like that to isolate the cause of the problem might help you alot in getting the pep back in your 6. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM
haloinreverse

Originally Posted by Frantz
If the change happened right after the oil change then you should try getting another. That would help rule out the oil being the problem. If this issues didn't crop up for 1000 miles than something else is more likely to blame.
Is the motor sluglish to gain RPM to 3k? or just not making much power? Does the motor bog down in neutral as well? If its slow to gain RPM but runs normal that, to me, would seem to be something farther back in the power train. Things like that to isolate the cause of the problem might help you alot in getting the pep back in your 6. Good luck!
Yup I tried 2 different types of oil. First I had valvoline in it and then motorcraft. No difference. I'm pretty sure it's the oil. That's the only variable that changed in the engine so it makes sense. I'm going to change it back to dual blend which Is what it came with and see what happens from there.