New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Gawd.... I own a Stang !

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:09 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default Gawd.... I own a Stang !

Well, I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I always loved the Stangs. My first car was a '67 Cougar, which I just loved even more than the Stangs. White, V8, Red Leather.

So, at 47, with my son approaching 16, we decided we need another car. So off to several dealers we go. I end up at the Ford dealer, where I am checking out the Explorers. I take an Explorer out for a ride, and think to myself... "what, another minivan/SUV type vehicle..". I am bored by the Explorer, and am now wondering what I am doing after a day of Pacifica/Highlander/Sienna/Explorer etc.

So, we walk into the showroom to talk about the Explorer and BAM... there it is..... A beautiful silver Mustang Convertible with the top down, exposing the red leather interior. A wander over to it and look inside... damn... it looks like a car from the 60's... big speedometer and tach, smaller gauges around it.... dang.... a T-type auto shifter handle in a nice console, just like the old Cougar. I open the door and sit in it. Oh Gawd.... the closet I have ever felt to being back in my old Cougar. I get out and really drink in the Mustang. I realize the whole thing looks retro, like the old Stangs. I have been so out of touch with cars over the last year that I was not even aware of the '05 redesign of the Stangs. This car is GORGEOUS. To add to my hots, the car has a black air intake installed, a custom side graphic with a bar across the top of the door, down along the front of the car where the front fender is, where there is a running horse in the graphic, and the bar proceeds to cross along the full bottom of the car from front fender to back fender. Then I see the black spoiler on the car, and walk around front to see a custom billet type grille.

Turns out the car is a fully loaded V6, that has had a bunch of custom stuff put on it. The car is a '05 leftover, and they added the stuff when they got it in to make it look like a really souped up Stang. Turns out it had 5-speed, anti-theft, interior upgrade, wheel locks, side airbags, anti-locks with traction control, leather seats and the 1000 watt Shaker. So, the sticker had gotten up to about $31,000, and they added another $1000 in stuff and labor. So the car was basically worth $32,000 MSRP.

To make a long story short, I got it for $24,000. Seemed like an awesome deal to me.

The V6 is a ton more power than I expected, and certainly a ton more power than many V6's I have driven. The car shifts quickly and exactly when it should.

So, I own a Stang, and it looks like the Stangs of old, which I loved, and I feel like I am sitting in my Cougar when I am driving it.

Now, I have spent HOURS looking at magazines and websites. It just amazes me what an industry the Stangs are!!! I see all these hop-ups and add-ons. It's cool to have a car that I can do mods to. I am looking forward to that.

First, I am thinking of doing a computer upgrade, and run 92 Octane in the car. This is going to be a fun car, so I can afford to put the good stuff in.

I am thinking of the Bamachips C&L CAI upgrade and Bamachips custom X-Calibrator tune-up.

I am mainly interested in getting the best throttle response I can get from a standing start, and good torquey performance from 0-30 MPH. Why? I am not looking to drap, or dyno or street race. I just like to snap my head a little when I take off from red lights, stop signs, turns, etc. No tire spinning, just a nice little feeling of acceleration.

Any of you do these mods? With this help with throttle response, and low speed, lower RPM torque?

Damn... I own a Stang. This feels so cool.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:13 AM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gawd.... I own a Stang !

Congrats, that's a great story...lol... Nothing like re-living your childhood... Good luck with the car, hopefully you and your son get enjoy it and time together...
Old 04-14-2006, 02:58 AM
rnoble324
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.......Can't wait to see pics!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:36 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Welcome!! Sounds like the perfect ride for you! I know exactly how you felt when you got in that stang, I fell in love with mine instantly, but I had always wanted one too. haha.

Lets see some pics, and if you have any questions, we've got a lot of tech sections here that you can find some info in
Old 04-14-2006, 08:58 PM
fast eddie
2nd Gear Member

Welcome Aboard!!
Old 04-15-2006, 05:07 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forums

get some 4.10 gears and a t-lok for that bad boy as well