New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

First post - What mustang to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:57 PM
coolcamden

Default First post - What mustang to get?

I am thinking about getting a late model Mustang GT to play around with... The local market feels like I can get a 03-04 for around $15K or a 05 for $19K. What's the reliability, any problems with being first year model, especially for the 05?

How about power and handling, drivability, tune-ability?

About me - late 40's. Just sold a Corvette C6 because 2 seaters don't work. Have been driving a honda SUV and for special occasions, a 500 hp MBZ CLS55 AMG. Looking for a play around, kick around car.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 AM
ravenforbidden
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: First post - What mustang to get?

03-04 Cobra is a nice one to play with, lot's of parts to work up with, lot's to start with.

I personally converted from Nissan (I know sad days I know leave it dead boys) and I drove a Skyline and I was tould Mustangs where these strip toys, I found out after my Skyline was totalled in a Hydroplaning accident and the receipt of a 5.0 from my dad, well addictions are easy to get with these Mustangs.

If your willing to take the time too, you can work on the car without alot of knowledge, from a 400hp street cruiser, to a 2-5k Drag Monster given enough money and enough time figuring things out.

At the moment I'm doing two Cobra Terminator Mimic Foxbodys, and both are proving to be very pleasing. My 04 is out of action due to fried catalytics, but that's because I failed to recognize stock exhaust due to the extreme polishing the last owner did, and found out 30 psi on a Kenne Bell and alot of strip is not good to mix! LOL

But yes, I also just love the affordability of a large sum of the parts, Cobra are spendy so be foreworned won't see much of a difference, however! GT's have tons of affordable upgrades that give big boost to power.

If you take your time in short, you can have two Really really fast Mustangs for the Cost of a Corvette, or Viper, and if you want more they have it save the speed of light...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
PistonsFan102
2nd Gear Member

anything less thatn a z06 will seem to slow.

if you want the power go with an 03/04 cobra

if that isnt the case go with the 05+ Gt, they drive really nice and and is a better car than the 99-04 GTs
Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 AM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

I love the new retro look of the 05's. Plus if you do a GT then you can mod it to your hearts content! I personally feel that if your going to do serious modding then the Cobra is to cost prohibitive. But if you want ...fffffffast and don't want to mess with it to much then the Cobra is the Bomb!

I tried to get a new 08 Shelby GT 500 but could not get on the list and the 07 Convertible Cobra I could find locally was 20K over sticker. So I went with a 08 GT Premium Convertible + Steeda Q350 package and plan to mod it heavily over time.