New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New but not fast

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Mark GSX

Default New but not fast

I baught my first Mustang ever in April.It's a 99 GT. Actually it's the first Domestic V-8 I've ever owned. I'm 30 and grew up on Smokey and the Bandit, Dukes of Hazzard, and Starsky and Hutch. So I've always wanted a V-8. And since I don't have 25 grand to go buy an old school Chevelle or Camaro I settled with financing an $8,000 Mustang GT Convertible. It has a fresh rebuilt motor and I updated the looks with black housing headlights and a front chin spoiler. Only problem is it's not fast. I don't need it to be really fast because it's my daily driver but I do want to stop losing to 1.8 liter Acura's.

My background isthe Mitsubishi Eclise AWD. Hence the name, Mark GSX. I still have a couple in the back yard and one runs 11's with ease but I'm in the process of building a new setup for it. I'm still on the stock engine, trans, and rear end but I'm going to a bigger turbo and bigger injectors to get into the 10's.

If my Mustang could handle the high boost the Mitsubishi does I would just turbo that thing. But since it has limited potential I'll have to settle with 12's in the 1/4 mile. I'm worried though about how much that will cost me. From what I've seen it takes a lot of money to make my mustang fast. And even more money to get it to match a stock Z06. Any suggestions are appretiated.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:24 PM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New but not fast

ummm... my car is a 4banger too, and is getting ready for 20+ psi of boost.... 2.5L stroker baby.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Mark GSX

Default RE: New but not fast

Nice bro. Glad to hear it. When I decide to build my motor I'm also going with a stroker. 2.4 liter with 7 pounds shaved off the crank for lighntning fast revs. AWD + bigger turbo + stroker motor = A change of pants.