New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Our 2 mustang in one day story

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 PM
lyyroix

Default Our 2 mustang in one day story

This might be a little long but the ending ought to be worth it.

About 5 years ago, our oldest child at the time was about to reach driving age. I posed the question to my wife as to whether she wanted us to purchase a used car for our daughter or a new car for my wife. To my surprise she said a new one for herself. So I asked what she wanted and to my further surprise she wanted a Mustang GT vert. Well not long after that we drove by the closest Ford dealer to see what there was to see. Having not really cared for the Fox body cars I had no idea of the offerings available. I was a hunter and had my beloved Durango 4x4. Well as luck would have it the very first Mustang we drove by had this Cobra symbol on the side. I knew enough from my fondness of late 60s muscle cars that meant something. So I promptly got out and looked and was astounded (an 03 Cobra it was). Well we test drove a GT coupe and vert and Cobra and a little later a Mach 1. All the while I knew the Mystichrome Cobras were coming.

Not long after we began our intrest in Mustangs, I found a 96 GT (Sally)for what I thought was an OK price and thus our love of Mustang began. About a year later the local dealer had a Mystichrome Cobra that had been on the lot for about 2 weeks. At work one day about lunch time I had an epiphany and decided I was ready to trade in the Durango and what I willing to pay monthly for the Cobra (Misty). I will leave out the trade in story for now but the Ford dealer's rep wrecked my D during the test drive. So we were then a 2 Mustang family, I had a coworker at the time that was a 3 Mustang family and had also bought an 04 Cobra. Over just over 2 years we put more than 50k miles on Mysti and did some basic mods. I also autocrossed it some. At some point we parted ways with Sally. Along the way we also decided that we should have bought a different Cobra model and parted ways with Mysti, trying to keep up the paint and drive her was more effort than we wanted to contiune to expend.

Before Mysti left us, our son had developed a love of ponie too and we bought a 2000 GT (Silver)for him to drive. For about a year we were a 1 Mustang family and we experimented with a VW GLI and MX-5 Miata. They were nice cars but we were always missing the driving experience that 8 pistons delivered. I had spent a few months trying to decide what I wanted to switch to and in looking for parts for Silver I kept seeing all the parts available for the S197 cars and thinking I wish those were available for the SN95 cars. Well about a month ago I decided to test drive an 08 GT, had not been in an S197 before. I was really impressed with how much better the platform handled though I will admit I still am not in love with the body.

So I decided an 08 GT was in my near future. I took my wife out to look at what I had decided I wanted and the more she looked the more she liked. Well I founf the car I wanted at a dealer 2 hours away. They informed me that they had the car on their inventory but it had yet arrived at their location. I decided that since I was off the day after thanksgiving I would go an do the deal and go back to get the car when it arrived. We had to drive two cars so that we would have a way to get back home. Well while the dealer was working the paper work on my car my wife saw a black oneshe liked and she test drove it. Well not long there after the dealer was aprasing her car and we decided we were OK with the deal they presented. So we drove home in her new 2008 GT and mine made it to the dealer the following Monday. Yes, we bought 2 2008 GTs in the same day. Mine (Lyyroix)a standard and hers (Betty)an automatic. Works out quite well since I will end up doing some road couse events and she aspires to drag race some.

Sorry this was kinda long but I think its a nice story. We tried to get away but we now know we are Mustang fanatics and they can have ole Lyyroix when they pry him from my cold dead fingers. We are a 3 Mustang family now and order has been restored to the known universe.

So we are not new to Mustangs but we are new to this board.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Default RE: Our 2 mustang in one day story

wow, awesome story!

so whens your daughter getting into a stang?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Great story, welcome.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:16 AM
dferkler
2nd Gear Member

Well as luck would have it the very first Mustang we drove by had this Cobra symbol on the side. I knew enough from my fondness of late 60s muscle cars that meant something. So I promptly got out and looked and was astounded (an 03 Cobra it was). Well we test drove a GT coupe and vert and Cobra and a little later a Mach 1. All the while I knew the Mystichrome Cobras were coming.

I'll bite. How did you know the Mystichrome Cobras were coming if you weren't familiar with the car?

Welcome!!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Cubs17
3rd Gear Member

Awesome story! Bet you love to look out into your driveway and see all the stangs parked out there
Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
lyyroix

Oldest daughter has moved out and married ... second daughter has a pontiac grand am ... youngest wants a bandit style trans am (I wish ... $80 k + from year one)

We started looking in late 2002 about the time when the Cobras stared showing up on dealer lots. We bought Sally in early summer 2003. Bought Mysti in 2004. Hadover a year to read the mags and chase rumors online. By the time we boughtMysti I knew more about the SN95 Mustangs than almost everyone at the dealership (as any car fanatic should) ... which I know is not saying much. The day I went to buy the car I filled out paperwork with a different salesman than the one I had been dealing with since he was out that day. This new salesman opend the hood and made a couple comments and I asked him what he wanted to know about the car.

Yes it is pleasing to have a yard full of muscle ... will get pics when we can get em all in yard at the same time during the day. Its tough to have 3 motorsports programs to fund although we are a set of hoosires from me transferring the funding of my sons car to him. My mod list is somewhat limited based on my planned use for it. Now the wife's car ... there's some FI in its future but thats a couple years out.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:17 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

wow that's just some serious mustang love right there. i think everyone should give a +1 to lyyroix. congrats on the new purchase. i'm actually picking my 08 gt next week. my first, and i've already started purchasing mods, haha
Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

worthy story[8D]

welcome to the forums!

show us some pics when you get the chance!