New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Johnny with the 84 5.0 HO

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:04 PM
84NolanMustang

Default Johnny with the 84 5.0 HO

My name's John Nolan, I'm from san diego CA. I have a 1984 Mustang 5.0 HO. It's the hatchback with the T-Tops, manual trans, carburated, and a whole lotta work. When I bought it about a year ago, it didn't run at all. I bought the car for 200 bucks. The exterior is a little worse for wear, dents, oxidation, etc. The interior wasn't much better, and the motor was the worst of the three. Well, I pulled the motor rebuilt it, all myself by the way. This being the first time I had ever done anything to this extreme I hit a few bumps in the road, but all in all it's going pretty good. I just was looking for some general input from mustang lovers like me, who probably have more experience and knowledge, on how to make what I have so far better. Not really parts wise but running, drivability and just enjoyment. So, starting from the block I had it bored out .040 and purchased all new pistons ring, bearings, and crank. I kept the original rods. The heads I purchased all new valves, and lapped them all myself. Didn't get new springs, retainers, or keepers,I beefed it up with a mild Shneider cam. The intake, I still have the stock intake but I match ported it to the heads. I have a Road Demon Jr. 625 cfm, with an adapter plate for 4 barrel to dual plane. I have a MSD 6A ingnition with a MSD blaster coil, MSD 9MM wires and MSD cap and rotor. The exhaust I still have the stock manifolds, but I fabricated the rest of the exhaust myself,(instead of it Y'ing, into one, I just have two pipes going straight back to two mufflers, etc. I still have the stock T5 tranny, that I had to pull completly apart after it stuck in second gear, turned out to be the 5th and reverse actuater fork had broken and a piece had lodged in the gears, anda hurst short shifter to go with that. New rad, fan, clutch, harmon bal., water pump, etc.
I feel after all this it still doesnt run the way it should, its rough at idle it doesnt have the low end torque like it should, and I don't know, it doesn't have the feel that I think it should. If anyone has any suggestions I would much appreciate it. Thanx