New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Can anyone help a new guy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 04:48 AM
Chillin_stnap2

Default Can anyone help a new guy?

Let me start by saying that I guess you could call me a Chevy guy, but I certainly love and respect the classic mustangs, so please excuse my ignorance. My question is for a friend of mine that's interested in a '66 Mustang that he saw in the paper. The asking price is $4,200, but he offered $3800 and got turned down. I went with him to check it out today and noticed a few things that need work.
To start, it's an automatic that shifts fairly well and it has an inline six in moderate condition. It has a slight miss fire and there seems to be a leak from the rear of the engine or the front of the transmission. The final drive sounds like it has a backlash problem. Namely, you can hear the clunk every time you apply the gas or brake. Speaking of the brakes, they really suck. I know that 4 wheel drums don't stop on a dime, but at 45 MPH, you should still be able to lock up the wheels. The body is in pretty good condition other than the hood, which is warped and bent, but still there. It needs a paint job, but it's all one color and 90% rust free. The electrical system seems pretty weak. At idle, the headlights pulse with the engine. It may just need a new alternator though. The interior is not bad, the seats look nice, but the door panels are starting to come off. The rear deck where the speakers would me mounted is all torn up, but that can be replaced. The glove box door is still there, but the box itself isn't. All the gauges seem to work, but there is a switch hanging down on the passenger's side that even the owner did not know what it did. Finally, one of the rear windows doesn't roll down. Every thing else is in ok/working condition.
So, my question is, did he miss out on the deal of the century or did he avoid getting ripped off? If I left out anything, let me know.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:34 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can anyone help a new guy?

From what it sounds like, he saved himself a lot of headaches. I wouldn’t pay $4,200 for a six banger either, a V8 maybe, if in a little better shape. The only thing is the prices of old mustangs are getting stupid.

And don’t worry about being a Chevy guy, my car is a 65 2+2, 289 fastback. My wife’s car is a 67, 427 corvette roadster. I have fun in both and keep them both running. I still favor the old Mustangs, but ya got to love those old vettes. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-13-2005, 11:06 AM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Welcome to MF

Have fun
Old 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Chillin_stnap2

Thanks for the warm welcome. I curently drive an 88 Trans Am GTA that'll smoke 4 bangers like nobody's bussiness, but what I'd really love to get my hands on one day would be a 69 'Vette with t-tops. Big blocks, baby!
You're right about the prices of the classic mustangs, though. I mean, come on, Ford sold half a million of these in one year, why does everyone think they've got the only one left?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 PM
grimwolf
2nd Gear Member

if he wanted a 66 that bad he would a payed the asking price...but personaly i would have payed the guy the 4200 cuse either way its gonna take money to get that thing in tip top shape..but i love mustangs of all years.
ORIGINAL: Chillin_stnap2

Let me start by saying that I guess you could call me a Chevy guy, but I certainly love and respect the classic mustangs, so please excuse my ignorance. My question is for a friend of mine that's interested in a '66 Mustang that he saw in the paper. The asking price is $4,200, but he offered $3800 and got turned down. I went with him to check it out today and noticed a few things that need work.
To start, it's an automatic that shifts fairly well and it has an inline six in moderate condition. It has a slight miss fire and there seems to be a leak from the rear of the engine or the front of the transmission. The final drive sounds like it has a backlash problem. Namely, you can hear the clunk every time you apply the gas or brake. Speaking of the brakes, they really suck. I know that 4 wheel drums don't stop on a dime, but at 45 MPH, you should still be able to lock up the wheels. The body is in pretty good condition other than the hood, which is warped and bent, but still there. It needs a paint job, but it's all one color and 90% rust free. The electrical system seems pretty weak. At idle, the headlights pulse with the engine. It may just need a new alternator though. The interior is not bad, the seats look nice, but the door panels are starting to come off. The rear deck where the speakers would me mounted is all torn up, but that can be replaced. The glove box door is still there, but the box itself isn't. All the gauges seem to work, but there is a switch hanging down on the passenger's side that even the owner did not know what it did. Finally, one of the rear windows doesn't roll down. Every thing else is in ok/working condition.
So, my question is, did he miss out on the deal of the century or did he avoid getting ripped off? If I left out anything, let me know.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:19 PM
grimwolf
2nd Gear Member

because their mis informed...they think the older it is the more rare it is..in fact mustangs are probly the most plentfull..
ORIGINAL: Chillin_stnap2

Thanks for the warm welcome. I curently drive an 88 Trans Am GTA that'll smoke 4 bangers like nobody's bussiness, but what I'd really love to get my hands on one day would be a 69 'Vette with t-tops. Big blocks, baby!
You're right about the prices of the classic mustangs, though. I mean, come on, Ford sold half a million of these in one year, why does everyone think they've got the only one left?