New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Why should I buy a mustang over a GTO or Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Shortthiing_Jenn

Default RE: Why should I buy a mustang over a GTO or Charger?

ORIGINAL: 69FB

Lower cost upfront to buy the car.

More parts available for the car.

Better looking styling than your other choices.

More aftermarket companies making components for the Mustangs than the others you listed.

Oh and welcome to the boards.
exactly
Old 07-27-2008, 06:41 AM
VegasTurbo

if you are going for the 09 american muscle it's hard to beat either the new camaro w/one of the 6.2L mills or the new challenger w/either the 5.7hemi or the 6.1SRT8 version.

i'd take either over the gto, the charger, the mustang...
they're close in performance and styling, but i'd go with the challenger personally if you were going for a brand new "muscle car"
Old 07-27-2008, 01:50 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

why say hemi like its something special back when they first came out it gave alot more power but with how engines run now being a hemi doesnt mean it will get a great deal of power over any similar sized engine/tune. look a t honda they have been using hemi's since the 80's and there nothing to write home about. having a hemi now is just to sound cool.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
VegasTurbo

ORIGINAL: SeanAndKate

why say hemi like its something special back when they first came out it gave alot more power but with how engines run now being a hemi doesnt mean it will get a great deal of power over any similar sized engine/tune. look a t honda they have been using hemi's since the 80's and there nothing to write home about. having a hemi now is just to sound cool.
you're preaching to the choir here, i agree with you a hundred percent. People hear the word Hemi and think it's something magical.. except like you said it's just a head w/ a spark plug in the middle.. honda been doing it forever, and i've built many turbo hondas pushing fast track times..

however i mention the hemi because there are 3 available motors for the new challenger. one of them is a V6, and the two V8's are designated the Hemi's... a 5.7 making 345 (380 this year) and a 6.1 making around 420 i think..
either motor will be a good strong fast car , that's all...

the new camaro also comes with 2 v8's.. both 6.2L, but one is an LS3, and i can't remember the model number of the other one, but they are both gonna be fast too..

i really like the interior of the camaro, but the lines and the body style of the new challenger are PERFECT they nailed in on the looks of that car compared to the general's soldier.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Cuzzo
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on your decision for a mustang. They look better and blow less money at the pump.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
VegasTurbo

well if you have decided to go with the mustang there are literally countless companies that offer aftermarket products for the mustang. it's a tried and true platform, not just a new model that has recently come out and not had all the bugs worked out yet that's for sure.

as far as where to start, of course it all depends on your ultimate goals and what the car will be used for, but i'd start with the basic holy trinity : intake, full exhaust, and a custom tune.

a good intake system w/hi flow filter element, a full exhaust including headers to tip, and a good SCT tune should free up quitea few ponies and put a smile on your face w/out breaking the bank.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:01 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

i do agree with with vegasturbo though i hate to say it the new challenger looks sweet.