New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Mustang - 2011 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
asphaltalley

Originally Posted by theACE
I don't think any 2011 Mustang's come with spare tires, they all get the compressor and fix a flat. That's what I have in my 11 V6.
I think you are right that all the 2011 V6 Mustangs come with the "kit" instead of a spare tire. However, all GT V8s get a spare unless you order the Brembo package. What really sucks is that if you do carry a spare even though you got the Brembo and you have a flat on the front - your spare won't work. Therefore, you would have to take the wheel off the back and put it on the front and then use the spare on the back. Ya got that?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM
asphaltalley

Originally Posted by BLACKO9GT
Thank you asphalt. That's in honor of my oldest son- currently serving in Afghanistan.
First of all ~ I would like to thank your son for his service to our nation ~ and I pray for his and his fellow soldiers safe return home.
I have reconsidered ordering my pony with the Brembo package based on your recommendation. However, I may carry a spare anyhow. Just can't square having no more than a compressor and a can of goo. But ~ if I have both ~ hope there is room.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 AM
BLACKO9GT

Question

Originally Posted by asphaltalley
...What really sucks is that if you do carry a spare even though you got the Brembo and you have a flat on the front - your spare won't work. Therefore, you would have to take the wheel off the back and put it on the front and then use the spare on the back...
...I have reconsidered ordering my pony with the Brembo package based on your recommendation. However, I may carry a spare anyhow. Just can't square having no more than a compressor and a can of goo. But ~ if I have both ~ hope there is room.
Well... now after reading your posts I'm not so sure...

I'm no car expert and I guess I don't understand what all the issues are regarding the Brembo package. I just assumed it was just a simple upgrade on the brakes and that Ford would include 4 wheels on the car (and 1 in the trunk) that would fit with the brakes on the car. Stupid me!

I've always hated "space saver" tires and ended up paying extra $$ for a full-size spare. I don't want to get a flat tire during a long trip and have to rely on a wheel/tire with a disclaimer that says "For temporary use only. Do not exceed 45 mph".

I understand the temporary spare won't work on the front end due to the Brembos being larger brakes. I'm probably missing something here, but I don't understand why a full size spare wouldn't work.

Also, many thanks for your kind words and prayers re: my son and all our troops.

Last edited by BLACKO9GT; 01-17-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Honestly, I would get the Brembo brake package, then just buy a spare tire and take out the compressor and can of jizz Ford put in the trunk and drop the spare in there.

Why miss out on Brembo brakes and sweet rims just for the lack of a OEM spare tire?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I'd go with a higher gear ratio....
Old 01-17-2011, 04:08 PM
asphaltalley

Originally Posted by BLACKO9GT
Well... now after reading your posts I'm not so sure...

I'm no car expert and I guess I don't understand what all the issues are regarding the Brembo package. I just assumed it was just a simple upgrade on the brakes and that Ford would include 4 wheels on the car (and 1 in the trunk) that would fit with the brakes on the car. Stupid me!

I've always hated "space saver" tires and ended up paying extra $$ for a full-size spare. I don't want to get a flat tire during a long trip and have to rely on a wheel/tire with a disclaimer that says "For temporary use only. Do not exceed 45 mph".

I understand the temporary spare won't work on the front end due to the Brembos being larger brakes. I'm probably missing something here, but I don't understand why a full size spare wouldn't work.

Also, many thanks for your kind words and prayers re: my son and all our troops.
I think I will just avail myself, (should I ever have a flat), on calling up the 5-year Roadside Assistance "help" phone number that I will get with my new car. Probably sell the car in 5 yrs anyhow. Not sure that if I get a spare 19" wheel, (which is what I'd want with the Brembo), that it will fit in the spare tire compartment.
Thank you Black09GT,
Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
I'd go with a higher gear ratio....
Me too
Old 01-18-2011, 06:46 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome & good luck
Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM
asphaltalley

Originally Posted by Alec
Me too
Having the rear axle ratio higher would use more gas - but - one would think that if I can afford this thing - I better be able to afford the gas.
Thanks, Potman and Alec for the input.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Larry Warcup
3rd Gear Member

Welcome asphaltalley to MF from beautiful British Columbia, Canada!

For sure let us know when you finally order your new baby!
(...and stick with BLACK...it looks great on those '11 GT's)

Looks like you've already received some great info here...
All I have to add is...GOOD LUCK on your new purchase!

Larry