New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Reliving the past.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Dieselmiata

Default Reliving the past.

Hi guys so I bought a mustang wut boltons cold air intake exhaust can make me beat a vette I wanna run 9s.

Only kidding, please don’t kill me.

Back in the early 90’s, My father purchased an 83 GT from a friend of his for the purposes of a “dad & lad” project. Dad was co-owner of a shop that built lots of engines for local pro-stock modified racing and loved working on Mustangs. I was 16, and only slightly interested in cars at the time, so sadly I didn’t really pay much attention to what was done to the car, but I fell in love with it. I became a die-hard Mustang guy, even to the point of getting the pony logo tattooed on my shoulder.

I drove the car for about a year and then joined the Navy. I had to leave the car behind, as I was sent over to Japan, and had no idea I would stay there for 15 years. Dad parked the car on the street and never drove it. It got moved into the driveway every now and then, and was driven only to get the state inspection done on it, then parked for another year.

While I was overseas, I started to become interested in cars. I bought a Skyline GTR like every other fast and furious fanboy at the time, and had a blast with it. I always thought of it as the Mustang of Japan, and that started to inspire me to get more into cars. After my neighbor totaled my GTR (long story) I bought a Miata, and that sparked a whole new level of enthusiasm and dedication to cars. I’ve had 3 of them, and currently have a turbocharged ‘92 pushing around 250 HP. It’s loads of fun, but it’s missing something that I need in my life. That V8 rumble. And torque. Besides, I've finished what I wanted to do to it and find myself looking for another project to keep me occupied.

I thought the Mustang was sold years ago, but talking to my dad for the first time in years the other day he informed me that it’s still street parked, and if I wanted it back it’s mine for the taking. Logistics are going to be interesting, as it’s in Austin and I live in Chicago now but I plan on bringing it back here within the next month or so. Don’t worry, it will never see a salted road. I don’t know in detail what all has been done to it, but I do know it was built very well for what was available at the time (early 90’s) What I do know is that it has Wolverine Blue Racer Cams, and the engine was balanced and blueprinted. The Crankshaft lobes were ground to blades, it had a much larger carb installed and the suspension was worked on. It went like all hell, and was notorious in my town as one of the fastest fox-bodies in the area. Other than that, much of the car’s condition is unknown to me. The 4-speed is on its way out due to bearing issues so I’m looking at getting a 5 speed to slap into it, assuming that’s a worthy swap.

Sadly, I haven’t kept up on Mustang performance, so I have a lot of research to do in finding out how to not only bring her back to the land of the living, but to make her dance like I know she can. I’ll start a build thread once I actually have the car back in my possession, and will likely be in lurker status while I do research. I know how irritating it can be when noobs ask questions that have been asked ad nauseum. I participate heavily on two of the major Miata forums, one of which is an incredible source of restoration and maintenance information but has an atmosphere of a bunch of old men screaming at you to get off the lawn, and the other is like a bunch of sailors playing grab-*** but has more technical and engineering knowledge than I could ever hope to learn. I’m hoping this forum strikes a balance between the two.

I’m really excited to be getting my car back, and can’t wait to get back into what made me fall in love with Mustangs in the first place. It’s not often you have the chance to get your first sports car back.

Pics of the car as she sat 10 years ago. I' hope she looks as good now as she did then.

Name:  IMG_44058817191111_zpsdd192a81.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  76.1 KB
Name:  IMG_44067077890640_zps0655aaa8.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  54.1 KB
Old 04-26-2014, 05:04 AM
Chazman_1962
2nd Gear Member

Nice Welcome and post picts when you get it back
Old 04-27-2014, 06:30 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome and thanks for your service to our country. Hope your Mustang still looks like that.

Hoping we can help get her up and dancing again.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome
Old 04-28-2014, 07:11 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome
Old 04-28-2014, 04:00 PM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Welcome.