New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Mustang in the snow: horrible, possible, not so bad??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Frznrth123

Default Mustang in the snow: horrible, possible, not so bad??

Hi
My 17 year old is thinking a mustang would make a good choice as his next car. We live in Alberta so winters can be brutal. I've read that those with ESC do better in snow ice but how much better? Where would this fall in the responsible parent scale?? I'm paying half so have some say.

He's thinking v6. Likely around an 06-08. It would have top of the line winter tires and the ESC option (this was an option on the base?)

His other option is an 05 Audi TT with Quattro. No snow/ice concerns but maintenance on a German car might bankrupt him.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-11-2017, 09:56 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I think most vehicles with snow tires would be fine in the snow. Do you guys get big snowfalls though? Is something with higher ground clearance out of the question?
Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 PM
Frznrth123

We can get huge dumps of snow in the spring it's more ice I'm worried about. We get chinook winds and some freezing rain on occasion.

I did Ok with a rear wheel drive in Saskatchewan when I was a kid but I'd rather have something better than just Ok for him. No such thing as ESC or advanced traction control when I was young but I drive an SUV with AWD and winter tires now. Just not sure how much of "taking a chance" a "newer" mustang would be in the winter.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:48 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

With snow tires, i think it's fine;
i haven't tried, because i have summer tires,
& i'm chicken,
but... i see a lot here in Saskatchewan in the wintertime
(just don't drive like a 17-year-old & act like it's summer! haha)
(& people think that just because they have AWD/4WD, they can drive however they want in winter, & they end up in the ditch lol
i have seen lots of SUVs in the ditch, & have never seen 1 Mustang)

one year, we actually had 5 feet of snow in the front yard, & the next year, about 5")

the main roads are good, but the residential areas can be rough, & with a low car with only rear-wheel drive,
it's pretty easy to get stuck

Last edited by Gravydog316; 06-12-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:43 AM
Frznrth123

Thanks. Good to hear. Stick is fine - upside down in a ditch not so much.